1. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    30 Jul '21 16:28
    It appears that this formerly stalwart RHP Club has folded.
    I enjoyed the varied challenges offered in such a Club.
    This makes me feel sad. 🙁
  2. e4
    Moves
    30 Jul '21 18:14
    @Woofwoof

Yes it would appear so. I was member it but I'm afraid I only took part in few tournaments,
    I did not mind being the gambiteer but you also had to take the part of the
    player material up and often lagging in development. I always felt uncomfortable
    in those situations.
  3. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    30 Jul '21 20:48
    My membership was revoked today....
  4. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    31 Jul '21 08:49
    @greenpawn34

To me, the unbalanced positions were necessary byproducts of the Gambits on offer. I enjoyed the challenge of attempting to create new "non-book" lines or playing those which are rarely seen. Every failure was a triumph in learning.
  5. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    31 Jul '21 08:49
    @schlecter said
    My membership was revoked today....
    We can assume that all memberships were revoked with the Club's closing.
  6. Joined
    15 Dec '20
    Moves
    31 Jul '21 13:23
    Perhaps someone will start another club with a similar theme.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '07
    Moves
    01 Aug '21 19:27
    I found this extremely sad, gambit fantasy has been very successful over the years with over 1000 tournaments. And lots of good fun and keen members.

But is also a bit baffling. There is a weakness in the club system in that it relies on one person and it can take a lot of time to run a successful club. So gambit fantasy has had about 5 different leads (over 13 years?) and so why was it not passed on again? I didn't see any requests. And now the membership has been cleared out, so difficult to restart. I presume that if anyone requests to be lead then they can.

Also the club was still active, the few tournies I tried to join filled up before I could enter.
  8. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    02 Aug '21 21:02
    Kudos to BiggDoggProblem for his efforts to run the club as long as he did. Very much appreciated!
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Aug '21 12:15
    @Paul-Leggett

For sure. He did a good job and worked hard at it. It's a bit of a thankless task and there are a lot of successful clubs abandoned. So it would not be surprising if he had had enough.

So I find it puzzling that after all his time and effort, to then close the club rather try and pass it on. Admittedly, I wouldn't imagine a rush of volunteers fighting for the role.
  10. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    05 Aug '21 08:49
    @paul-leggett said
    Kudos to BiggDoggProblem for his efforts to run the club as long as he did. Very much appreciated!
    There's no doubt about that Paul.
    His efforts have likely been under-heralded.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree