He will be the one to beat Magnus. 🤔
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    06 Dec '21 04:56
    @contenchess said
    He will be the one to beat Magnus. 🤔
    Maybe, we'll see. Right now Magnus is busy dissecting Neop. piece by piece.
  3. e4
    Moves
    06 Dec '21 07:282 edits
    Over the years when anyone wins a tournament or two they have been backed as
    the latest great hope to beat Carlsen. we have seen, Giri, Caruana, Nakamura,
    Karjakin, Aronian, Wes So, MVL, Grischuk, Ding Liren, as favourites to beat him.

AT the moment he is still there (Nepo is not out of it yet, he now has to take the
    chances that he had in this match, the game he lost he was at one stage possibly winning.)

Firouzja is the new generation, he is good enough to do it and time is on his side,
  4. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    06 Dec '21 14:24
    @greenpawn34

Exactly. The current generation is unable to beat Magnus.

Next generations are going to have that chance.

(and Magnus is still young.... and It seems he likes to be the powerful champion ...)
  5. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    06 Dec '21 16:42
    Firouzja will be a worthy challenger, but I think Carlsen will challenge Lasker for longevity as world champion. Only 19 years to go!
  6. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    06 Dec '21 21:39
    Magnus is making history. In the chess books of the future a chapter is going to be written only to analyze him.
  7. e4
    Moves
    13 Dec '21 18:551 edit
    Hi byedidia,
    "... but I think Carlsen will challenge Lasker for longevity as world champion. Only 19 years to go!"

That was in the days when a World Champion could duck and dive challenges.
    Lasker defended his title over a 16 year period 5 times since winning it from Steinitz in 1894.

1896 v. Steinitz
    1907 v. Marshall
    1908 v. Tarrasch
    1910 v. Schlechter
    1910 v. Janowski
    The he lost it to Capablanca in 1921.
    (WWI prevented matches v Rubinstein and Capablanca.)

Carlsen has now defend it four times in 7 years since winning it from Anand in 2013.
    2014 v.. Anand
    2016 v .Karjakin*
    2018 v. Caruana*
    2021 v. Nepomniachtchi
    (* = after tie break)

One more defence of the title and he ties with Lasker and Kasparov..
    I think that is better to measure longevity.

This site is an excellent reference for world title matches. I have it bookmarked.

https://lichess.org/page/world-championships
  8. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    14 Dec '21 02:21
    One more WC win and Magnus is the GOAT. 🐐
  9. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    14 Dec '21 02:22
    I want him to lose 😡
  10. e4
    Moves
    14 Dec '21 10:111 edit
    He might like the idea of losing the title and then winning it back again. Botvinnik
    (twice) and Alekhine did this but both took advantage of a rematch clause.

Carlsen would be the first do it after winning a candidates. (there is more money
    to be won doing it this way. The winner of the final received 60% of 2 million euros.
    and for winning the previous candidates Nepo received €48,000.)
  11. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    16 Dec '21 04:37
    Magnus just said he probably won't play in the next WC unless it's against Firouzja! 😳
  12. Joined
    26 Sep '10
    Moves
    21 Dec '21 14:22
    @greenpawn34 said
    Hi byedidia,
    "... but I think Carlsen will challenge Lasker for longevity as world champion. Only 19 years to go!"

That was in the days when a World Champion could duck and dive challenges.
    Lasker defended his title over a 16 year period 5 times since winning it from Steinitz in 1894.

1896 v. Steinitz
    1907 v. Marshall
    1908 v. Tarrasch
    1910 v. Schlechter
    191 ...[text shortened]... rence for world title matches. I have it bookmarked.

https://lichess.org/page/world-championships
    Chess was a different game when Lasker held the title.

No FIDE running things. No Russian Conglomerate funding things. Heck, Chess wasn't actually how most of these men supported themselves. Most of them had real jobs outside of Chess. Oh yeah, and they didn't have instant knowledge of what everyone else was playing.

For me, Carlsen already ranks up there with the Lasker and Kasparov. But I also realize that Chess, and what makes one a "Great" in the field has radically changed. Frankly, for me I'd rather have the championship determined via a tournament of the "New York 1924" style rather than the method used now. Women's Chess Champion is was determined via a knockout for three years and personally, I think this is a superior method to how it is done now. I mostly follow the tournaments and don't really pay much attention to the Championship matches, particularly since three of the last four have been, frankly, yawners.
  13. Joined
    26 Sep '10
    Moves
    23 Dec '21 00:08
    @contenchess said
    One more WC win and Magnus is the GOAT. 🐐
    Don't think that would be the case. Modern Chess is a whole different ball of wax than before the computer age. Hard to make comparisons with the differences between eras. Could modern players accomplish the same results had they operated like Capablanca and his generation did. What could the past generations done with computer analysis available (personally, I think computers have ruined Chess.

Not a big fan of championships being decided by blitz tiebreakers either. Kind of anticlimactic. Like the World Cup being decided by penalty kicks.

Frankly, if I had to pick a GOAT, it would be Kasparov.
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    23 Dec '21 06:34
    @simianmusings said
    Chess was a different game when Lasker held the title.

No FIDE running things. No Russian Conglomerate funding things. Heck, Chess wasn't actually how most of these men supported themselves. Most of them had real jobs outside of Chess. Oh yeah, and they didn't have instant knowledge of what everyone else was playing.

For me, Carlsen already ranks up there with ...[text shortened]... to the Championship matches, particularly since three of the last four have been, frankly, yawners.
    Knockouts produced "world champions" such as Khalifman and Ponomariov. Don't get me wrong; both were strong players, but not up there with the lineup from the classical WC's.
  15. Joined
    26 Sep '10
    Moves
    23 Dec '21 09:36
    @bigdogg said
    Knockouts produced "world champions" such as Khalifman and Ponomariov. Don't get me wrong; both were strong players, but not up there with the lineup from the classical WC's.
    Not talking a knockout. Talking bringing in the top 10 players or so, and having a round robin tournament where each participant played everyone else as black and white.
    Knockouts you're talking about if I remember correctly had over 100 players in each. I'm not talking the Chess equivalent of the NCAA basketball tournament. I'm talking the best of the best (top 10-12 candidates). They already do that with the Candidate cycle. I'm just saying make the candidate cycle THE Championship.
    Simple fact is the knockouts may not have produced the "best" champions, but I'd say they earned it more than two guys with months of prep time and a team of coaches with computers helping them. Or I should say programming them to play draws.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree