1. Joined
    20 Aug '21
    Moves
    24 Aug '21 02:19
    Can you put in a position with black only and find games that reached that position?
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    24 Aug '21 18:03
    @c-i-v said
    Can you put in a position with black only and find games that reached that position?
    Of course it is possible, but it sounds like creating a prog that gives someone the ability to cheat.
  3. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    24 Aug '21 18:17
    @c-i-v said
    do you mean from the Games Explorer feature ?
  4. Joined
    20 Aug '21
    Moves
    24 Aug '21 18:52
    @ogb said
    do you mean from the Games Explorer feature ?
    Yes.

To look at games where black played a certain set up or system.
    A lot of unorthodox chess systems don't have names and such.
  5. Joined
    20 Aug '21
    Moves
    24 Aug '21 18:54
    @rajk999 said
    Of course it is possible, but it sounds like creating a prog that gives someone the ability to cheat.
    How so?

Typing in a position with black to see all of the games where black achieved that position is not cheating.

That's like saying it's cheating to look at all the games where black played a certain defense.
  6. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    24 Aug '21 19:32
    @c-i-v said
    Yes.

To look at games where black played a certain set up or system.
    A lot of unorthodox chess systems don't have names and such.
    you'd have to have Chessbase or similar program...
  7. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    24 Aug '21 19:34
    @rajk999 said
    that isn't cheating,.,..u can study games in a database just like studying openings from a book....
  8. Joined
    20 Aug '21
    Moves
    24 Aug '21 20:23
    @ogb said
    you'd have to have Chessbase or similar program...
    Thanks, that's too much work.
    I was hoping I could enter the position here and see the games.
    No worries, thanks for the help.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    24 Aug '21 20:37
    @ogb said
    that isn't cheating,.,..u can study games in a database just like studying openings from a book....
    Thats different. Studying games / openings etc, is not the same as pulling up your specific starting [midgame for eg] position to see several possible outcomes. It is a good way to avoid having to do the thinking for yourself and therefore cheating.

Of course Im not saying anyone here is suggesting that that is what they want to do.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Aug '21 20:51
    I thought of doing something like that with Fritz and my games. Write down lines with the next good move suggested by Fritz.

After the next game with the same line, see where Fritz disagrees further down the line. I figured after a few years of doing this I would have quite s few variations out way down the line.

Then someone said that kind of thing was cheating, so I stopped doing it.
  11. Joined
    20 Aug '21
    Moves
    24 Aug '21 21:17
    In correspondence chess you can look up any game or opening etc etc.

No engine analysis obviously.

So if I want to look up the French defense Winawer variation and look at move 13 options I can.

That's no different than looking up certain positions that black achieved against white.
    This is a correspondence chess website if I'm not mistaken 🤔
  12. Joined
    20 Aug '21
    Moves
    24 Aug '21 21:192 edits
    @rajk999 said
    Thats different. Studying games / openings etc, is not the same as pulling up your specific starting [midgame for eg] position to see several possible outcomes. It is a good way to avoid having to do the thinking for yourself and therefore cheating.

Of course Im not saying anyone here is suggesting that that is what they want to do.
    I'm not interested in what the best moves are.

I just want to see games where black had a certain position and look at those games.
    No different than looking up popular defenses and seeing how good players play them out.
    Some theory goes to move 15 or more... so if you copy a master game you think that's cheating?
    This is correspondence chess.
    It's allowed.
  13. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    27 Aug '21 18:20
    @c-i-v said
    So if I want to look up the French defense Winawer variation and look at move 13 options I can.
    most databases let u put in searches by ECO..so if u really narrowed down the eco code (C18 ?) that would at least be in the right direction.
  14. Joined
    20 Aug '21
    Moves
    27 Aug '21 22:47
    @ogb said
    most databases let u put in searches by ECO..so if u really narrowed down the eco code (C18 ?) that would at least be in the right direction.
    It doesn't have an eco code.

It's one of those ridiculous systems that look stupid but do ok.

In fact...

Black plays...if he can...

Pawns to h6 a6 e6 d6 and bishops to e7 and d7 and then both wings pawn storm.

No eco code for that and no opening name.
  15. Joined
    15 Dec '20
    Moves
    28 Aug '21 00:54
    @c-i-v said
    It doesn't have an eco code.

It's one of those ridiculous systems that look stupid but do ok.

In fact...

Black plays...if he can...

Pawns to h6 a6 e6 d6 and bishops to e7 and d7 and then both wings pawn storm.

No eco code for that and no opening name.
    The ECO classification system is designed to accommodate every variation, no matter how obscure.

Based on having consulted my ECO volumes A and B, my guess is that the opening you describe would be under A40 (if White opens 1. d4 and doesn't shortly play e4...) or B00 (if White opens 1. e4 or shortly plays e4...). I didn't try to figure out the classification if White were to open some other way and Black played the same system.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree