1. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    18 May '21 22:21
    Please join the US Chess Federation before rates rise on June 1st .... thanx πŸ˜‰
  2. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    19 May '21 13:55
    @ketchuplover
    Looks like the rates rose in April...More rate rising to come, eh?
  3. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    29 May '21 00:45
    inmate D38967 awaits your move via jpay.com ... he can only respond via letters
  4. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    30 May '21 16:02
    @ketchuplover said
    Please join the US Chess Federation before rates rise on June 1st .... thanx πŸ˜‰
    I renewed, but only to focus on online OTB chess and regular OTB when it becomes available.

I must admit however to being somewhat ashamed of the USCF's correspondence chess section. With the exception of email events, this has changed very little since the Fischer era. In its present form USCF correspondence chess much like a 1957 Chevy in a field of present day Aston Martins, Jaguars, and Ferraris.

JMHO - Red Hot Pawn is a far better site for correspondence chess.
  5. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    30 May '21 23:42
    @mchill said

Man I agree wholeheartedly. When I went in search of a place for online chess, I looked at several. RHP was by far the best.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Jul '21 04:081 edit
    @mchill said
    I renewed, but only to focus on online OTB chess and regular OTB when it becomes available.

I must admit however to being somewhat ashamed of the USCF's correspondence chess section. With the exception of email events, this has changed very little since the Fischer era. In its present form USCF correspondence chess much like a 1957 Chevy in a field of present day Aston Mar ...[text shortened]... s, Jaguars, and Ferraris.

What exactly is online OTB chess?

I thought OTB was Over-the-board chess. You know, face-to-face.

I had a USCF membership when I was younger, but got tired of dudes staring at my chest the whole game.
  7. Joined
    17 Jul '21
    Moves
    24 Jul '21 04:40
    Online OTB would be real games that change your USCF rating.
  8. Joined
    17 Jul '21
    Moves
    24 Jul '21 04:42
    @mchill

I've been waiting for the USCF to get it's own CC server/website for years. It's long overdue.
  9. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    24 Jul '21 05:18
    @r-to-d2 said
    @mchill

I've been waiting for the USCF to get it's own CC server/website for years. It's long overdue.
    I agree. In fact when I last renewed my membership, I was sent an email with a request for suggestions, so I wrote to the head of the USCF CC section, explaining politely that with the exception of email, correspondence chess at the USCF has changed very little since the Fischer era, and included a link to this site as an example of a good CC site. He responded with a diplomatic answer that was long on verbiage, and short on substance.
  10. Joined
    17 Jul '21
    Moves
    24 Jul '21 06:37
    How unfortunate.
    Possibly with the extra popularity of chess recently and people staying home they might come up with the cash to get it going. I know nothing about websites or server costs I might add πŸ˜‰
  11. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    25 Jul '21 23:05
    @ketchuplover said
    I've been wondering how that would benefit you, since that is what seems to be implied.
  12. Joined
    17 Jul '21
    Moves
    25 Jul '21 23:33
    @Kevin-Eleven

It would benefit the American Chess Federation. USCF.
    If people don't pay for a membership it will close down. Which means no money for real tournaments. Which means no real tournaments.

Online chess definitely helped chess but it is killing local clubs and local tournaments.
  13. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    29 Jul '21 21:44
    @ketchuplover said
    I just received an email from the USCF CC dept. They said they've put together a panel to review their CC site and format in the hopes they can modernize, their CC dept. and begin to attract new players, and stop the flow of existing players from leaving for other sites (like this one) I wasn't giddy with optimism upon hearing the news, but perhaps some improvements will come of it. It may be worth logging into the USCF CC site every few weeks, just in case some features are added or improved upon.
  14. SubscriberZorroTheFox
    MAP since 090214!
    Round Rock, TX
    Moves
    25 Sep '21 13:22
    @ketchuplover. In 1966, the annual subscription was around $10! Fortunately, I became a Life Member at $100.00, a good investment. The magazines are a treasure! By the way, minimum wage was $1.25 at that time. So, my membership cost me 80 labor hours.
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    26 Sep '21 07:12
    @suzianne said
    What exactly is online OTB chess?

I thought OTB was Over-the-board chess. You know, face-to-face.

I had a USCF membership when I was younger, but got tired of dudes staring at my chest the whole game.
    Wow, those must have been some extroverted nerds back then. Usually they stare at the floor next to you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree