1. Joined
    20 Jan '20
    Moves
    22 Jan '20 23:17
    When making one of these does the opponent see it before he decides what move to make?
  2. Joined
    14 Feb '09
    Moves
    23 Jan '20 02:321 edit
    I was on another site and I thought that too...
    I had a forced mate but depending on my opponents replies meant I had to set up multiple conditional move scenarios.

I thought I had all possibilities covered with 4 different conditional move scenarios.

He played the 5th scenario that I didn’t see but it still lead to mate with me winning and I seriously thought he saw all of my 4 conditional move scenarios and found a line I didn’t see.

They weren’t complicated lines...just back rank mates and he could delay it by putting pieces in the way or running.

Interesting post, I would like to know too.
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    23 Jan '20 04:28
    @webwiz
    It's not clear what you are asking. From your opponents point of view he or she sees what they would if you were making the moves manually. The only difference is that you will appear to be moving fairly quickly. They are not shown your plans.
  4. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    23 Jan '20 06:15
    @webwiz said
    When making one of these does the opponent see it before he decides what move to make?
    I don't want to rain on your parade here, but cannot see any value in conditional moves here on RHP. Back in the days of correspondence play with postcards, players may have agreed on some conditional moves as a way of saving money on postage stamps, but conditional moves simply give away your thought process in a given position, which may alert your opponent to dangers or opportunities they'd not considered before.

JMHO - Don't show your cards unless you have to! 🙂
  5. Joined
    20 Jan '20
    Moves
    23 Jan '20 07:243 edits
    Thanks guys but the last two posts contradict each other. My question is: If I play (on this site) 1. e4 and a conditional move if 1........e5 then 2. Nf3 then does my opponent know what I intend before he plays his move? Or does he make his move blind to my intention and just see an immediate response if he chooses the move postulated?
    If DeepThought is right then Mchill's objection is nullified, and there are advantages in conditional moves. They save time. They save re-analysing the position. Sometimes the opponent only has one move. Etc
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    23 Jan '20 08:14
    @webwiz said
    Thanks guys but the last two posts contradict each other. My question is: If I play (on this site) 1. e4 and a conditional move if 1........e5 then 2. Nf3 then does my opponent know what I intend before he plays his move? Or does he make his move blind to my intention and just see an immediate response if he chooses the move postulated?
    If DeepThought is right then Mchill's o ...[text shortened]... . They save time. They save re-analysing the position. Sometimes the opponent only has one move. Etc
    I'm certain. For one thing there is no way for the interface to notify you of what your opponent is planning. The only information that you are giving away is that you are moving quickly and your opponent might guess that you're in a conditional move sequence and analyze harder. I'd imagine that mchill has never used the conditional moves feature.

Even if it were the case that your opponent was told your conditional moves in situations where your opponent only has one legal move you're not giving away information by telling him/her your response to it.
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Jan '20 09:55
    As @DeepThought says.

Any pre-planned moves are private and your opponent will have no knowledge of them beforehand unless you told them yourself.
  8. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    23 Jan '20 16:51
    the conditional moves are hidden from your opponent. It's only after he makes his move, does your conditional reply pop up..
  9. Joined
    20 Jan '20
    Moves
    23 Jan '20 18:58
    Thanks. That's what I wanted to hear.
  10. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    24 Jan '20 03:412 edits
    @webwiz said
    If DeepThought is right then Mchill's o ...[text shortened]... . They save time. They save re-analysing the position. Sometimes the opponent only has one move. Etc
    If DeepThought is right then Mchill's objection is nullified.

Please allow me to clarify. I wasn't objecting to conditional moves. Just suggesting if each player has between 3 and 21 days to move in these correspondence tournament settings, there should be little need to speed things up. If it makes you feel good, do it, but I look upon correspondence chess as a chance to slow down and find deeper and better moves. 🙂
  11. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    24 Jan '20 19:43
    @mchill said
    I don't want to rain on your parade here, but cannot see any value in conditional moves here on RHP. Back in the days of correspondence play with postcards, players may have agreed on some conditional moves as a way of saving money on postage stamps, but conditional moves simply give away your thought process in a given position, which may alert your opponent to dangers or opportunities they'd not considered before.

JMHO - Don't show your cards unless you have to! 🙂
    Apparently there's a game/app that combines chess & poker

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree