1. Orillia, Ontario
    Moves
    20 Dec '19 02:46
    @Shallow-Blue

It isn't the four digits or even the ego, that I take seriously. Its chess itself that I take seriously and cheaters dishonor this noble game. Maybe to you its a past time like online gaming and such, but it is a little more then that to me.
    Don't get me wrong. I respect your opinion. Just please don't paint us all with the same brush.
  2. Joined
    09 Jul '16
    Moves
    20 Dec '19 17:08
    I only have a certain amount of free time that I can dedicate to chess and I don't want to waste it playing engines.

I enjoy playing humans, either in person or online. They make the same sort of mistakes that I do and the games are often great fun. Playing engines is boring. Either they beat you soundly by refuting your unsound ideas or they play stupidly if they've been nerfed - perfect moves with idiotic piece-dropping blunders every now and then.

That's why I stopped playing correspondence chess on this site and elsewhere.
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Dec '19 18:27
    @mynameisklint said
    That's why I stopped playing correspondence chess on this site
    You haven't made a single move on this site.

Hypocritical, dishonest, or perhaps in violation of the TOC? Take your pick...
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Dec '19 18:30
    @rickgarel said
    It isn't the four digits or even the ego, that I take seriously. Its chess itself that I take seriously and cheaters dishonor this noble game. Maybe to you its a past time like online gaming and such, but it is a little more then that to me.
    It's like a religious joke. If your love for your God can be insulted by a stupid little joke, your belief isn't worth much. And similarly, if your love for the game can be dishonoured by a petty little engine user, your rating isn't worth much.

You create the honour of your games. If you let your opponents do so, you may win the board, but you lose your mental fire.
  5. Joined
    09 Jul '16
    Moves
    20 Dec '19 20:53
    @shallow-blue said
    You haven't made a single move on this site.

Hypocritical, dishonest, or perhaps in violation of the TOC? Take your pick...
    >> violation of the TOC
    That one.
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    21 Dec '19 03:18
    @mynameisklint said
    >> violation of the TOC
    That one.
    Violating the Table of Contents is a serious offense! 😲
  7. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    21 Dec '19 12:28
    @shallow-blue said
    It's like a religious joke. If your love for your God can be insulted by a stupid little joke, your belief isn't worth much. And similarly, if your love for the game can be dishonoured by a petty little engine user, your rating isn't worth much.

You create the honour of your games. If you let your opponents do so, you may win the board, but you lose your mental fire.
    That's some damned good philosophy right there. 🙂
  8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    21 Dec '19 16:16
    @shallow-blue said

I don't agree with this. I need to become somewhat emotionally connected with a game to play remotely well, and not too invested, it's a bit of a knife edge. If I'm playing a human that's fine, but if it turns out I'm playing an engine I may as well not put in the effort, and the emotional energy I put in is wasted. So I get annoyed by engine users because I waste energy playing them.

If humans were entirely rational then you would probably be right, but well, we aren't are we?
  9. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    22 Dec '19 19:21
    @bigdoggproblem said
    Violating the Table of Contents is a serious offense! 😲
    Clearly the work of malcontents.
  10. RSA
    Moves
    25 Dec '19 09:31
    @gambiteer said
    Very odd -- he resigned 120 games yesterday!
    He resigned one game against me, and I didn't gain much as he got to me late in the spree. We were playing two in a tournament, but he crushed me in 17 moves in one of them.

Out of curiosity, I read his profile (which he has now deleted - perhaps he decided to end the charade about his grand achievements in this game?) but I have a photographic memory and I can recall it all.

I suspected him after reading that he possessed 3000 CDs of the man in his avatar, "Johannes" Sebastian Bach. If he were truly such a lover of that particular Bach's music, I suspect he would know that his name was "Johann" and not "Johannes".

A charlatan will always be exposed, one way or another.
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Dec '19 09:481 edit
    @ashiitaka said
    I suspected him after reading that he possessed 3000 CDs of the man in his avatar, "Johannes" Sebastian Bach. If he were truly such a lover of that particular Bach's music, I suspect he would know that his name was "Johann" and not "Johannes".

A charlatan will always be exposed, one way or another.
    And then, I do have the complete works of JSB, as do many people who were buying music in the Bach-year 2000. It comprises 160 CDs. Having 3000 of them would mean owning each work, even the less inspired cantatas, more than 18 times! Now, a less-inspired-for-Bach cantata is still a work of genius that may be worth owning twice, maybe three times, but 18¾ times the entire set? I don't think so. One shouldn't be angry at such silliness, one should shake one's head, smile, and move on.

But thank you for reminding me that it's time to put up part one of the Weihnachtsoratorium!
  12. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    25 Dec '19 12:11
    @shallow-blue said
    And then, I do have the complete works of JSB, as do many people who were buying music in the Bach-year 2000. It comprises 160 CDs. Having 3000 of them would mean owning each work, even the less inspired cantatas, more than 18 times! Now, a less-inspired-for-Bach cantata is still a work of genius that may be worth owning twice, maybe three times, but 18¾ times the ...[text shortened]... on.

But thank you for reminding me that it's time to put up part one of the Weihnachtsoratorium!
    It is rare for a thread such as this to actually improve in content as it progresses, but this post is a great one to read on a Christmas morning before anyone else has woken up. Thanks!

And I am not familiar with the Weihnachtsoratorium, but Alexa (Amazon) is introducing me as I type!
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Dec '19 15:27
    @paul-leggett said
    And I am not familiar with the Weihnachtsoratorium, but Alexa (Amazon) is introducing me as I type!
    My favourite production is one by the Collegium Vocale under Herreweghe, but there are more great ones. One was posted here a couple of years ago, I suspect by rank outsider, but alas I've lost the link and can't find it on the Culture forum any more, either. The Harnoncourt one, possibly?

One thing I love to do is to listen to each cantata on the day it was originally intended for.
  14. Joined
    15 Jan '19
    Moves
    26 Dec '19 04:183 edits
    Here is a question for computer cheating. . .What if I am playing an RHP game for which I use an electronic game to decide what moves I want to play in the RHP game. What I mean is, I can set the electronic game for 2 players which causes the electronic game not to suggest moves. However, what if I forget to set the electronic game for 2 players and I see the electronic game make a move of its own for my side of play.

Should I consider myself a cheater if I have a reason to make the same move I saw the electronic game make other than just because I saw the move?

If I don't set the electronic game for 2 players then the electronic game will make a move as an opponent. However, the "opponent" can be my side or the other side of the RHP game. I guess that once or twice I saw a move made by the electronic game that was for my side of the board of the RHP game. Maybe once I saw a move made by the electronic game for my opponent's side of the RHP game.
  15. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    26 Dec '19 06:00
    @zzzzz9200

This site's Terms of Service section 3 b clearly state what is allowed which your scenario clearly contravenes. What galls most players is chess engine consulters, whether they be "centaurs" or "postmen", refusal to respect the right of the unassisted to games played that way.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree