1. Joined
    01 Sep '07
    Moves
    24 Mar '09 18:07
    Hello all,
    I typically use MCO 14 for researching lines and openings but find it just gets so slow to look up variattions (and requires the use of a board).
    Do you think Chessgames.com premium membership is worth it (mainly for unrestrcicted access to the openings explorer) or am I better off getting some database software for this? Any software suggestions?

It seems the advantage to chessgames.com is that (I assume) the dataabase gets updated for you.

Input/advice appreciated, I'm not familiar with any of this.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Mar '09 18:15
    Use the database here no?

timeforchess.com/gamesexplorer/
  3. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    24 Mar '09 18:28
    Originally posted by xnomanx
    Hello all,
    I typically use MCO 14 for researching lines and openings but find it just gets so slow to look up variattions (and requires the use of a board).
    Do you think Chessgames.com premium membership is worth it (mainly for unrestrcicted access to the openings explorer) or am I better off getting some database software for this? Any software suggesti ...[text shortened]... dataabase gets updated for you.

Input/advice appreciated, I'm not familiar with any of this.
    I am a premium member to Chessgames, mostly because I like to use the openings explorer and the repertoire explorer of GM's, just to noodle around and check out certain lines quickly. If you're willing to spend more money and maybe do a little bit more work, you should buy chessbase, their database, and update it using TWIC. I have it, Megabase 2009, a database of correspondence games, and TWIC updates, and it's a lot more games. If you're serious, then go with Chessbase. Also, it should be pointed out that www.365chess.com has a very very similar openings explorer for free. Enjoy! 😀
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    24 Mar '09 18:32
    Originally posted by Hippopotamus
    Use the database here no?

timeforchess.com/gamesexplorer/
    Wow! What a nice tool!

You just killed who-knows-how-many-hours of my life. Thanks a lot!

😉
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Mar '09 18:35
    Just doing what I can with what I got.

Time for Chess rules.
  6. Joined
    01 Sep '07
    Moves
    24 Mar '09 18:56
    I completely forgot that this site has the database...
    Thanks.

For right now, Chessbase is probably above my level.
    At 1470, I typically blow it on stupid tactics anyway.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Mar '09 19:25
    Originally posted by xnomanx
    I completely forgot that this site has the database...
    Thanks.

For right now, Chessbase is probably above my level.
    At 1470, I typically blow it on stupid tactics anyway.
    This site's database is markedly inferior to Chessgames.com. When I was playing 30 or more games here, I had premium membership there and it was well worth the $25 a year (I liked having the feature of having the Opening Explorer for the super GMs).
  8. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    24 Mar '09 19:43
    no1 beat me to it. The database here is quite bad. It's not updated, and I'm pretty sure it's markedly smaller than the chessgames one. It's certainly worth the money to subscribe to chessgames for the quick access to an update database, but if you're even too cheap for that, use 365chess.com.
  9. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    24 Mar '09 19:45
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    repertoire explorer of GM's
    I do not have a subscription to chessgames - Is there any other place on the web where there is a repetoire explorer of GMs? Thanks. :-)
  10. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    24 Mar '09 19:53
    Ummm, not that I know of. That is the one real bonus of chessgames in my opinion. I can pick any player I want, and they give me something like chessgames opening explorer, but just using that GM's games. It's quite nice to be able to pick a player you're interested in or check out your favorite player's repertoire in such a fashion. Unfortunately, it's probably quite arduous to program something like this, and that's why it remains a pay-to-use service. Sorry!
  11. Joined
    01 Sep '07
    Moves
    24 Mar '09 20:10
    After looking over the one here just now, I can see it really doesn't have the variety/amount of games...decent enough for being free, I guess.
    I'm not that poor...I'll probably go ahead and pay for Chessgames.com- it seems like a good medium between the free databases and a full on system like Chessbase.

Just curious, how often does it get it's database updated? Is it current with most major players/tournaments?
  12. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    24 Mar '09 20:21
    Yeah it gets updated as soon as the games come out. If they relay the tournament, it can be that day. You can already find rounds of the current Melody Amber Blindfold / Rapid tournament on there.
  13. Standard memberAlzheimer
    A brain like a sieve
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Mar '09 10:34
    I sometimes use the Opening Tree mode from www.chessok.com

http://www.chessok.com/?page_id=352

It is quite helpful, but I have to say that my Database is better!! 😉
    More updated and mostly CC games!!!😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree