1. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    13 Mar '19 12:472 edits
    Hi all,

I've started teaching my young(ish) cousin chess so she will be able to consistently beat her boyfriend. To help do this I recommended for her to start using a chess tactics site. However, I don't remember what I used myself when I learned the little tactics I know.

Can someone recommend a free site or two that are still good in 2019?

EDIT: She is an absolute beginner.

Thanks.
  2. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    13 Mar '19 15:17
    R.H.P. is a start with 12 games for free and a decent openings book.
  3. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    13 Mar '19 16:55
    chesstempo dot com.
  4. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    13 Mar '19 17:24
    @byedidia said
    chesstempo dot com.
    Thanks!
  5. Joined
    08 Apr '12
    Moves
    14 Mar '19 01:48
    There's an app called Tactics Trainer (IIRC) which I think is pretty good. It's for iOS, at least, and I like it for passing time on public transit. Worth a look, maybe.
  6. Joined
    28 Feb '19
    Moves
    14 Mar '19 11:23
    I just downloaded CT Art 4.0 on my phone.
    Great tactics training app and free 🙂
  7. Joined
    23 Apr '19
    Moves
    24 Apr '19 06:46
    I reccommend Chess King Training. It's either a reasonable subscription or you can buy modules.
    If you get the modules, get your cousin the beginners package.
    The Mate-in-ones module has 70,000+ mate in one problems. -nobody is expected to do much more than a small fraction of them.
    But the problems are set up for pattern recognition. Once a pattern is look learned, your cousin won't need to do more of that pattern.
    The beginners package has several modules with names like "Easy Ways to Take Pieces"
    I want to mention the "Complete Chess Course" module is not a beginner course. But still good that they included one module for when your cousin gets some mad skillz.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree