1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Jun '19 18:072 edits
    It seems to me that to really enjpy playing chess you must have a specific personality.

Blank is the classic jerk who wants to prove his superiority by beating someone at chess.

I had a person's name in mind but left it blank.

Me, my interest in chess is to try to figure out the game. Winning feels good and losing pisses me off. Yet the only reason I do it is in the hopes of learning something new.

Some seem to enjoy puzzles just to solve a puzzle. Solving puzzles I do not find enjoyable at all. It just pisses me off out of frustration.

In summarry..

There is the puzzle silver
    There is the person who strives to understand
    There is the bully who wants to prove superiority

What are others?
  2. Standard memberPatzering
    is getting old...
    Moves
    21 Jun '19 18:10
    Geek.
    Nerd.
    Dork.
    Me ๐Ÿ˜’
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Jun '19 18:11
    @patzering said
    Geek.
    Nerd.
    Dork.
    Me ๐Ÿ˜’
    Lots of geeks and nerds do not like chess.
  4. Standard memberPatzering
    is getting old...
    Moves
    21 Jun '19 18:30
    I'm the type who tries to understand and improve.
    1800 otb was my goal and I will achieve it.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Jun '19 18:56
    @Patzering

My goal was to have a good enough understanding of the game to be able to beat people who only knew how the pieces moved.

Now I have no real goal, just ambiguous get better. Maybe one day I will play in a tournament.
  6. e4
    Moves
    21 Jun '19 19:551 edit
    When you do play in a tournament you will find dozens of other personalities...most good.

And puzzles are good for you, they help you improve and find OTB
    a move that you will miss. Trust me if you have never seen a particular
    idea in a combo, trick or pitfall. You will not see it OTB.

I've played 1,000's of combo's. Not one has been original.
    It is something I have seen before, maybe in a slightly different setting,
    but without the bare bones of it I would have missed it.

Pattern recognition is a valuable part of a players make up.

Pattern recognition in action.
    You can see instantly the Philidors Lagacy mate in 5

Reveal Hidden Content
    But there are also quicker mates in 2 and mate 4 in there.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Jun '19 20:074 edits
    Should have looked at your hidden first lol.

I do chess tempo to learn patterns, as well as try to visualize how the board would change.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Jun '19 20:37
    One thing I am learning is to not do something stupidly offensive without having calculating it through.

Hey that might work is not a good way to play chess.
  9. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    22 Jun '19 15:38
    Get there firstest with the moistest.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '19 16:27
    I suppose this observation fits well enough here.

Whatever you do in one game you should expect to be done to you. The converse of that is true if you are wise enough to learn instead of simply getting upset and wonder how you could be so stupid.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    รœber-Nerd
    Moves
    24 Jun '19 21:14
    @Eladar

Oh yes, there are definitely personalities which are played out OTB. Spielmann, Capablanca , Lasker, Tal, Petrosian, Fischer, Karpov, Kasparov, etc. Here too at RHP.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Jun '19 22:241 edit
    @moonbus said
    @Eladar

Oh yes, there are definitely personalities which are played out OTB. Spielmann, Capablanca , Lasker, Tal, Petrosian, Fischer, Karpov, Kasparov, etc. Here too at RHP.
    Any of those a variation of I am going to prove myself better/smarter than you because I can beat you at chess?
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    รœber-Nerd
    Moves
    25 Jun '19 04:562 edits
    @eladar said
    Any of those a variation of I am going to prove myself better/smarter than you because I can beat you at chess?
    Some people may use chess to stoke a need for ego validation. That is a fool’s game.

If there is any of that here at RHP, just ignore it. A player’s rating here has no relation to anything outside RHP and no bearing on forum discussions either. Some of the most astute debaters here have modest ratings.

Remember Tartakower’s wise words, “chess is a struggle against one’s own errors.” This means that your opponents seldom beat you; you let them beat you by your own errors.
  14. Mayberry NC
    Moves
    27 Jun '19 17:58
    How about the Artists? These are folks who are captivated by the beauty of the game, and who strive for excellence in appreciation of what the game can be.

๐Ÿ™‚
  15. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    03 Jul '19 16:102 edits
    @eladar said

There is the bully who wants to prove superiority
    I hope you don't mind if I ask, but how do you know this?

Are the "bullies" making derisive comments during the game, or is this a matter of "mind-reading" regarding someone else's mindset who might just be making better moves from more experience?

I understand most of us have mirror neurons and often can't help but have ideas about what the other might be thinking, albeit distorted by our own filters and perhaps also by their petty psych-warfare ruses, but if it's just two people making moves on a board, why not just play the board instead of the person?

If someone really is a bully who wants to prove his superiority, maybe there's more going on in his iceberg than we can ever know.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree