1. e4
    Moves
    17 Nov '19 14:14

Edward Winter made me buy and listen to ‘Norma’ because he said that was the
    opera being played when Morphy played his famous Opera game in Paris 1858.

He has changed his mind, now it’s ‘probably’ ‘The Barber of Seville.’ Huh!

A Kasparov - Karpov missed trick shot from Seville 1987.
    A good RHP game when the trick shot was not missed.

A couple of RHP games featuring a common trap cum blunder ending
    with a Carlsen game where he too plays for and gets the same blunder.

‘Figaro...Figaro...Figaro...’

Blog Post 436
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    17 Nov '19 15:21
    @greenpawn34
    hi GP,
    another enjoyable blog. Regarding the move 24. b3 in the luizderli - Colgorm game the possibilities I can think of are that 24. b3 prevents a later Qh4 which white might worry kept his queen tied to the centre, it also gives black a chance to move the knight so that he can get his queen to g6, which does happen a couple of moves later. luizderli's rating's never been over 1750, so it's also possible he was stuck for a move and did something harmless looking - I know I do that kind of thing every now and again 🙄.

As a minor point in the note to move 4. h3 you have "What wants to...", I think you want "White wants to...".
  3. e4
    Moves
    17 Nov '19 18:58
    Hi DeepThought

You could be right about 24.b3 but following an old writers trick,
    if you not sure best to say nothing, I said something but it was really nothing.

caught the spell corrector error. What to White. Thanks.
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Nov '19 13:33
    @greenpawn34 said

Edward Winter made me buy and listen to ‘Norma’ because he said that was the
    opera being played when Morphy played his famous Opera game in Paris 1858.

He has changed his mind, now it’s ‘probably’ ‘The Barber of Seville.’ Huh!
    I'm sure he's still wrong. Can you imagine Morphy watching a norma(l) opera? Nah. It must've been either a Philidor production, or Der Seekadett.
  5. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    19 Nov '19 16:05
    @shallow-blue said
    I'm sure he's still wrong. Can you imagine Morphy watching a norma(l) opera? Nah. It must've been either a Philidor production, or Der Seekadett.
    der Seekadett (after which the famous mate is named) has been first palyed in 1876, some 18 years after the famous game 😉
  6. e4
    Moves
    20 Nov '19 14:581 edit
    Hi Ponderable It is still being played.

DarseyDarzey - PiranhaFish RHP 2013
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Nov '19 09:53
    @ponderable said
    der Seekadett (after which the famous mate is named) has been first palyed in 1876, some 18 years after the famous game 😉
    It'll have to be Philidor, then. That will please some guys at my club, who always play d6.

It's a pity there aren't enough chorus bits in Der Seekadett, or I'd suggest we do it with my operatic society.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree