1. Glasgow
    Moves
    26 May '19 20:14
    I'm playing one current match, my position has been an overwhelming win for a few months, but opponent will not concede defeat. I know some will say that is his prerogative, but he uses every last moment of time control then moves. I eventually lost patience and sent a polite message reminding him resignation is possible, he replied he thinks he can win! Not sure if this was genuine or sarcastic, he is about to lose last pawn leaving king versus rook and several pawns, one of which will queen shortly. Anyone else find these tactics frustrating?
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 May '19 20:201 edit
    @tamkidd67

He can win if you time out. Once you have a forced win you can use the conditional moves feature to play your winning sequence. Then you can forget about the game.
  3. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    26 May '19 21:26
    @tamkidd67 said
    I'm playing one current match, my position has been an overwhelming win for a few months, but opponent will not concede defeat. I know some will say that is his prerogative, but he uses every last moment of time control then moves. I eventually lost patience and sent a polite message reminding him resignation is possible, he replied he thinks he can win! Not sure if this wa ...[text shortened]... rook and several pawns, one of which will queen shortly. Anyone else find these tactics frustrating?
    An innate characteristic of being human is our aptitude and will to control our environment, which unfortunately for us and our fellow humans includes other humans.

A lot of anger and resentment can arise on both sides of control, whether it's other people trying to control us, or other people not behaving as we would like.

Acceptance and patience would be the Rx for this case.

"Let it be"
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    27 May '19 02:43
    @tamkidd67 said
    I'm playing one current match, my position has been an overwhelming win for a few months, but opponent will not concede defeat. I know some will say that is his prerogative, but he uses every last moment of time control then moves. I eventually lost patience and sent a polite message reminding him resignation is possible, he replied he thinks he can win! Not sure if this wa ...[text shortened]... rook and several pawns, one of which will queen shortly. Anyone else find these tactics frustrating?
    This is why I try to avoid the 7/7 time control. A clearly lost player can play one move a week for a long time, hoping I die in the interim.

I have seen BigDoggProblem pay such people back in their own coin, in one case promoting a bunch of pawns as knights, and they making a very pretty mate with an army of knights on the board.
  5. Joined
    15 Feb '19
    Moves
    12 Jun '19 08:32
    @tamkidd67
    Just have other games going on and check on them a couple times a day. Most games are won because one player makes a mistake that the other player capitalizes on. So I personally just accept that my opponent might want to play on in such hope. It's also nice because this way you sometimes get to make mate on the board - which I personally find very satisfying.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Jun '19 11:05
    @AmericaLost

I was playing a kid one time and resigned. He said but I did not really win because he did not get to put me into checkmayed.

To him if he won because I resigned, it was just like a stalemate. He later accepted the idea of resigning as losing, only after he resigned lol.
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    12 Jun '19 16:48
    @tamkidd67 said
    He's employing the time-honoured strategy of hoping you will get hit by a bus. Watch your step.
  8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    12 Jun '19 22:04
    @tamkidd67
    You seem to play 1 or 2 games at a time which is fine. You currently effectively have no games in progress, so start 1 or 2 new ones and just use the conditional moves feature to program in the most efficient checkmate you can find. Also 3/7 is more than enough time, with 7 day time limits they have more scope for this type of behaviour. You could even go for 1/28 if you can normally move daily.
  9. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    πŸ€” Bolton
    Moves
    13 Jun '19 03:56
    @tamkidd67

I'd take the piss back, sack off the Rook. Premote 2 Pawns for a Knight and Bishop and bleed him white....
  10. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    13 Jun '19 11:24
    @tamkidd67 said
    Anyone else find these tactics frustrating?

Yes - and I don't like it anymore than you do, but you must see this for what it really is. Your opponent is simply trying to use your frustration against you, hoping you'll either make a mistake or quit. The best way to deal with this is to focus on making strong moves, and seeing this game through - to checkmate if necessary. Don't let childish tactics like this rob you of a deserved win.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Jun '19 10:34
    @tamkidd67 said
    I presume this is about the one game you have going not finished. Like the man said, you still can lose if you don't keep playing on time, and 7/7 is pretty ridiculous time control, so all you can do is keep at it.
  12. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    14 Jun '19 10:43
    @tamkidd67 said
    Play other games. Keep that one in your back pocket. It's a banked victory.

Just stay healthy my good man. πŸ˜€
  13. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    14 Jun '19 10:53
    @wolfe63 said
    Play other games. Keep that one in your back pocket. It's a banked victory.

Just stay healthy my good man. πŸ˜€
    Sound advice.

I try to only play games with 3 days a move with no time - bank, that way games don't drag on too long. Of course I'll wait if asked.
  14. Standard memberPatzering
    is getting old...
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 21:06
    I move quickly but you still have to checkmate me.
    I think it's good to see those checkmate positions instead of resignation when you realize you will lose eventually.
    I wouldn't drag out the time though.
    That's just disrespectful.
  15. Joined
    08 Jun '19
    Moves
    02 Jul '19 16:56
    @tamkidd67 I would see it as an opportunity to actually see a game through to the end rather than them resigning and denying you the opportunity to crush them!

Here's an example of properly bad chettiquette: in my first ever match playing for a club I got a stalemate 11 moves after losing every piece but my king... I think he was so surprised I carried on he lost the ability to think πŸ˜€

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree