1. Joined
    30 Mar '13
    Moves
    06 Feb '19 20:17
    A topic no doubt mooted on the site before...
    I'm currently enduring a couple of games with the same player that IMO, should've resigned loooong ago as a matter of etiquette, but now is simply winding the clock down out of puerile bad sportsmanship...with a single move as infrequently as possible.
    I appreciate he is fully within his rights to play for SM, and I have no recourse, but curious as to views on resignation etiquette.
  2. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    06 Feb '19 20:49
    @FatKidonaTrampoline

Your opponent has 600 plus games on the go and is probably cycling through them just in time to move. Typically he plays his losses to checkmate so I doubt it is personal or the dead man defence (hoping you'll pop your clogs before you deliver mate). The way to counter this is to promote all pawns to knights, arrange your pieces as a monogram or other artistic design before delivering mate just before the 50 move rule kicks in. Don't forget you can use the conditional moves to play the finish out remotely if you want.
  3. e4
    Moves
    06 Feb '19 21:24
    HI FatKidonaTrampoline,

From the lad's 1952 completed games I have - 1003 have ended in checkmate.
    So It's not personal. He, like a lot of players here play on till checkmate.
  4. Joined
    30 Mar '13
    Moves
    06 Feb '19 22:11
    @Ragwort
    "The way to counter this is to promote all pawns to knights, arrange your pieces as a monogram or other artistic design before delivering mate just before the 50 move rule kicks in."
    Love this!!

"Don't forget you can use the conditional moves to play the finish out remotely if you want."
    I didn't know this! Thanks!!
  5. Joined
    30 Mar '13
    Moves
    06 Feb '19 22:12
    @greenpawn34
    Sure, not personal perhaps...but bad etiquette and a lack of grace IMO
  6. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    07 Feb '19 18:28
    @fatkidonatrampoline said
    @Ragwort
    "The way to counter this is to promote all pawns to knights, arrange your pieces as a monogram or other artistic design before delivering mate just before the 50 move rule kicks in."
    Love this!!

"Don't forget you can use the conditional moves to play the finish out remotely if you want."
    I didn't know this! Thanks!!
    I thought we can only play one CM per line
  7. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    07 Feb '19 18:57
    @ketchuplover

Deep mode allows you to set conditionals further along the proposed line.
  8. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    08 Feb '19 19:28
    @ragwort said
    @ketchuplover

Deep mode allows you to set conditionals further along the proposed line.
    groovy
  9. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    21 Feb '19 23:24
    I'm currently enduring a couple of games with the same player that IMO, should've resigned loooong ago as a matter of etiquette, but now is simply winding the clock down out of puerile bad sportsmanship...with a single move as infrequently as possible.
    I appreciate he is fully within his rights to play for SM, and I have no recourse, but curious as to views on resignation etiquette.
    I've always held the view that if a game's obviously lost one should resign, but that's just me. Partly this is out of respect to my opponent and out of good grace, but I also can't see the point of dragging lost games around.
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    22 Feb '19 04:46
    @indonesia-phil said
    I've always held the view that if a game's obviously lost one should resign, but that's just me. Partly this is out of respect to my opponent and out of good grace, but I also can't see the point of dragging lost games around.
    There is a point, up to a point. Against an 1800+ player, I would probably presume that he could win if he had a clear advantage, and I would probably resign (unless I saw some drawing chances). But for the player in question here, playing out most games to checkmate is a fine way to learn the basic mating patterns with K+R vs K, K+Q vs K, etc. Are you sure you could mate in under the move-limit with K+B+N vs K, if you had never seen the pattern before?
  11. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    27 Feb '19 17:53
    When I see that a position is going seriously south in cold blood - I resign and move on, dragging it out without an edge just pis*es your opponent off.. Swallow that pride.
  12. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 Feb '19 19:09
    My main opinion about such behaviour, and almost all "bad sportsmanship", is that whining about it, whether in person or in these forums, is much worse etiquette than the behaviour itself.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree