1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Jan '21 20:34
    Anyone know where i can download a chess book to read offline? Openings, end games and puzzles would be a good starting point. I've never read a chess book in my life so nothing too complicated but also since my rating is around 1600 not a chess for dummies book, even though we're all dummies at some point.
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 21:334 edits
    @trev33 said
    Anyone know where i can download a chess book to read offline? Openings, end games and puzzles would be a good starting point. I've never read a chess book in my life so nothing too complicated but also since my rating is around 1600 not a chess for dummies book, even though we're all dummies at some point.
    I don't have an answer, but have explored several such ideas, and after hours of dealing with apps. downloads, memberships, usernames, passwords, ad's, add on sales pitches in my inbox, software updates, blinking lights etc. A suggestion if I may: Turn off all the electronic stuff! Find a good quality book, such as one on tactics or endgames designed for someone of your level, older Informants are cheap and contain a massive amount high quality study material, set up your board, and start working through the games and/or exercises. It's far simpler, cheaper, and will save you time.
    🙂
  3. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 06:37
    This is good advise but not many English books in Colombia and even fewer on chess 🙂
  4. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 09:42
    Most of the chess publishers like gambit, new in chess and quality chess, have kindle/ebook versions of their recent publications and in every case I have come across you can download a free sample of the books. Some have even gone through their back catalogue. If you have genuinely never read a chess book before these samples will give you an insight into what one looks like and how they read and whether you think they would suit you before you part with any cash.
  5. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 19:321 edit
    @mchill said
    Turn off all the electronic stuff! Find a good quality book, such as one on tactics or endgames designed for someone of your level, older Informants are cheap and contain a massive amount high quality study material, set up your board, and start working through the games and/or exercises.
    I quite agree. I can barely read a fictional e-book; a chess e-book, without the board next to me, is completely useless. A chess program just isn't the same.

The only thing electronic that's at least somewhat useful to me is a PGN collection (preferably with real annotations, not those useless "computer says +0.0023" things), which I can play through and explore branches.
  6. Joined
    14 Feb '09
    Moves
    19 Jan '21 17:39
    pdfdrive.com

Has hundreds of free chess books and thousands of free books on other crap.
    No strings attached.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree