1. Joined
    19 Aug '12
    Moves
    01 Jul '20 21:581 edit

15 ...Bc5 then the following moves. Aronian is a very strong player so this makes this game all the more remarkable.

Round 4 - Official website report

It was a day full of wins and losses, twists and turns, but still one game stood out head and shoulders above the rest. World Champion Viswanathan Anand used the black pieces versus 2nd seed Levon Aronian to create an evergreen that left all present in awe, not in the least Magnus Carlsen who called it “mind blowing”.

As the Indian Grandmaster explained afterwards, he used the preparation for his World Championship's match against Boris Gelfand from last year. A novelty on move 12 was the prelude to a series of sacrifices starting with 15...Bc5! Aronian plunged into deep thought, but was unable to solve his problems and after 16.Be2 Nde5! 17.Bxg4 Bxd4 18.Kh1 Bxg4 19.Nxf8 Anand crowned his attack with the beautiful 19...f5! and White was unable to stop the black queen from joining the attack.

https://www.chess.com/news/view/tata-steel-2013-round-4-1639
  2. Joined
    08 Jun '20
    Moves
    01 Jul '20 22:011 edit
    I can't get into Anand games after Carlsen massacred him.
    I'll give him respect for not quitting chess like most do after losing the WC.
    He is one of the few who keep fighting after losing the title.
  3. Joined
    19 Aug '12
    Moves
    01 Jul '20 22:51
    Is it a beautiful game or not? @uglytoproll ..... not in the least Magnus Carlsen who called it “mind blowing”.
  4. Joined
    08 Jun '20
    Moves
    01 Jul '20 22:59
    It seems lately Carlsen has become a panderer.

The world champion should be vicious.
    The world champion should be mean.
    The world champion should be an a$$hole.
  5. Joined
    08 Jun '20
    Moves
    01 Jul '20 23:24
    Sorry I can't get into a QGD Slav defense.
  6. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    02 Jul '20 04:32
    I don't understand this game at all.
  7. e4
    Moves
    02 Jul '20 10:241 edit
    Hi byedidia

I just found Anand analysing this game in the after game interview.
    Always good to get it from the player right after a game so you can
    get human thoughts from the player involved before some mugwump runs
    it through an engine, butchers it and does one of those hideous vid's on it

YouTube

Very dodgy going into an opening you know is part of a players rep right after
    a critical match. Anand honestly admits he was following unused prep v Gelfand.
    Then having a 30 minute think to freshly evaluate the position and a few moves
    later comes up with a cracker of a move OTB 19....f5. (rec'd)

Here I am reminded of Spassky - Keene, Dortmund 1973. Team Spassky obviously
    had a trick or two up their sleeve v Fischer's K.I.D. which Fischer wisely avoided.
    Next K.I.D. Spassky met he unleashed one and Ray Keene lasted 23 moves.

Spassky - Kenne, Dortmund, 1973
  8. Joined
    19 Aug '12
    Moves
    02 Jul '20 17:00
    Nice game greenpawn, Spasky Vs Keene. Walking "into preparation" can be daunting, poor Keene did not know what hit him.

The Anand game is pure gold.
  9. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    02 Jul '20 18:05
  10. Joined
    19 Aug '12
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 20:10
    On the Spassky vs Keene game

Raymond Keene mentioned that he believes this (that game) to be the first time Spassky got to use some of his unused novelties from the Fischer match.

Qe1 was the novelty- Keene's plan had been to meet e5 with bxc4 exf6 exf6 getting two pawns , the b and e files and a forest of pawns around his king as compensation for the piece. Keen thinks he should have tried this since what he actually did was a disaster.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree