1. Standard membercongruent
    I'm not Carnivo
    players not enemies
    Moves
    19 Jun '20 20:44
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00p8lhp/timeshift-series-9-5-how-to-win-at-chess

Many people know the basic rules of chess, but few can play really well. This programme offers some essential tips on how to raise our game.

British grandmasters Dan King and Ray Keene go through a special demonstration game from opening gambit to checkmate, revealing the key moves that can lead to victory. They explain the opening, middle and end games, and how to outwit an opponent with techniques such as forks, pins and skewers.

Along the way the colourful and diverse world of British chess playing is celebrated, including speed chess and chess boxing, and useful advice is offered on how not to be humiliated by a child prodigy.

Also taking part are novelist Martin Amis, writer Dominic Lawson, Britain's youngest grandmaster David Howell and under-16 champion Sheila Dines.
  2. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    20 Jun '20 19:531 edit
    @congruent said
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00p8lhp/timeshift-series-9-5-how-to-win-at-chess

Many people know the basic rules of chess, but few can play really well. This programme offers some essential tips on how to raise our game.

British grandmasters Dan King and Ray Keene go through a special demonstration game from opening gambit to checkmate, revealing the key move ...[text shortened]... iter Dominic Lawson, Britain's youngest grandmaster David Howell and under-16 champion Sheila Dines.
    I mentioned this in a previous post and watched it when it was on a few nights ago.
    I didn't think it was that instructive actually.
    A few explanations of pins,skewers and forks which I think most on here will already know about plus the basic principals of control the centre,develop and castle.
    Some of the history was interesting but personally I didn't get a lot out of it.
    That's not to say others won't so don't let me put you off.
  3. Standard membercongruent
    I'm not Carnivo
    players not enemies
    Moves
    20 Jun '20 21:21
    The program might not appeal to people with current chess knowledge as it was originally broadcast in 2009 so perhaps it is more aimed at reaching out to the general masses.

It is more a fun peek into the game from the sides rather than literally "How to Win at Chess" for say someone 1500 propelling them to 2200.
  4. Standard membercongruent
    I'm not Carnivo
    players not enemies
    Moves
    20 Jun '20 21:45
    A review of the programme from 2009 on the Independent. https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/reviews/last-nights-television-timeshift-how-to-win-at-chessbbc4-michael-jackson-the-last-days-five-1847130.html

Desperate for a bit of stimulation, I turned to How to Win at Chess, a film in the Timeshift strand. A programme about chess might not be the most obvious sanctuary for someone in need of televisual resuscitation, but surprisingly, it was a corker, with contributions from Martin Amis, Dominic Lawson and nobody called Randy.

I learnt to play chess almost 40 years ago, and formed an affection for it at grammar school, albeit largely because it offered an escape route from being herded into the assembly hall during wet dinner times. If you were a chess club member you could go and sit in the comparative comfort of room 7, although if you didn't wear NHS glasses and your trousers weren't two inches too short, you were suddenly in a minority.

How to Win at Chess didn't altogether puncture this nerdy image, but it was pleasing to find that the British junior champion is not only female but also a bit of a babe, and there was a nice clip of Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson sitting down to a game in Bottom. "Two guys, no chicks," said Mayall. "It's just man to man. Cultured. Urbane. Civilised. Male stuff. Just one more thing. How do you actually play chess?"

I might once have felt able to show him, but if this programme taught me anything it was that after all these years I'm still a novice. I knew nothing of the Hippopotamus or the Hedgehog opening, and if ever I have deployed the Dragon variation of the Sicilian Defence then it can only have been by accident. I now intend to tempt one of my sons to sit down with me over Christmas, although when I talk about Hippos and Dragons, he'll be expecting me to reach for an X-box 360, not the chessboard
  5. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    24 Jun '20 14:00
    @congruent
    I can so relate to that🎗

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree