1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    22 Jan '23 20:44
    I've done about 3400 tactics exercises in the last 18 months, (taken from several books) setting up my board on each one + playing through the one's I got wrong no less than 4 times. This has helped, but I'm getting burned out on tactics. May switch over to 1. Studying endgames or 2. Playing through GM games that use openings I prefer. Which one would you suggest?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jan '23 22:391 edit
    Full games.

You get all 3 phases of the game to learn from.

Edit... I'm not in a position to give chess advice.
  3. Joined
    15 Dec '20
    Moves
    23 Jan '23 13:13
    Given that either study option should be beneficial, I suggest that you select the one that would give you more pleasure.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jan '23 19:27
    @FMDavidHLevin

Studying endgames brings nobody enjoyment. 😐
  5. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Jan '23 18:44
    @mchill said
    I've done about 3400 tactics exercises in the last 18 months, (taken from several books) setting up my board on each one + playing through the one's I got wrong no less than 4 times. This has helped, but I'm getting burned out on tactics. May switch over to 1. Studying endgames or 2. Playing through GM games that use openings I prefer. Which one would you suggest?
    Getting a tournament report written and annotated by one of the contestants. Preferably one from some decades ago, back when they wrote their own commentary and didn't just copy-and-paste the "+0.61" from the computer. Play along with all the games, by all the players, in all the styles, from all the openings, into all the endgames that occur in practice.
  6. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    03 Feb '23 01:15
    @shallow-blue said
    Getting a tournament report written and annotated by one of the contestants. Preferably one from some decades ago, back when they wrote their own commentary and didn't just copy-and-paste the "+0.61" from the computer. Play along with all the games, by all the players, in all the styles, from all the openings, into all the endgames that occur in practice.
    Thank You to everyone who contributed. Much appreciated. 🙂
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Feb '23 01:54
    @mchill

You stopped playing?
  8. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    03 Feb '23 07:232 edits
    @booger said
    @mchill

You stopped playing?
    Yes. Subscription ends in Apr. and arrangements have been made with Russ not to renew. I'll be leaving here very soon to focus on OTB competition. Next event will be The Seattle Spring Open in March, followed by the Larry Evans Memorial in Nevada.

RHP has been a good experience, and I've learned a lot from you folks, but I miss in person OTB events - - and nothing beats the feeling of snatching a full point from those cocky HS and college chess team captains! 😆
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Feb '23 11:33
    @mchill

Good luck 😃
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Feb '23 04:07
    @mchill

See you soon.

Everyone comes back.
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 Feb '23 12:33
    @mchill said
    Yes. Subscription ends in Apr. and arrangements have been made with Russ not to renew. I'll be leaving here very soon to focus on OTB competition. Next event will be The Seattle Spring Open in March, followed by the Larry Evans Memorial in Nevada.

RHP has been a good experience, and I've learned a lot from you folks, but I miss in person OTB events - - and nothing beats the feeling of snatching a full point from those cocky HS and college chess team captains! 😆
    You can do both, you know.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree