1. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    23 Mar '20 13:44
    My 39 year old daughter came to visit us yesterday.
    There was a chessboard on display and she told me she had never learned how to play!!
    Anyway I set about teaching her and after showing her the basics she wanted to have a game.
    I've only ever played on here for years and I quickly realised that now, I rely a lot on the analyze board feature.
    I therefor decided to stop using it except to remind myself of the last few moves in a game.
    To anyone who I am playing, expect a few blunders from me for a while!!
  2. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    25 Mar '20 03:10
    @venda
    I use it a lot if something catches my eye. That said for me normally it's to pull myself out a 'Sticky Situation'.
  3. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    25 Mar '20 10:19
    @venda said
    There was a chessboard on display and she told me she had never learned how to play!!
    Anyway I set about teaching her and after showing her the basics she wanted to have a game.
    I've only ever played on here for years and I quickly realised that now, I rely a lot on the analyze board feature.
    I therefor decided to stop usi ...[text shortened]... last few moves in a game.
    I use it extensively when tasked with more than a dozen or so games.
    It greatly aids me in efficiently evaluating my original intent and main idea of a game's position.

But, I can see where over-reliance might affect visualization during OTB games. Thanks for the warning Venda. 🙂
  4. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    28 Mar '20 17:131 edit
    @hells-caretaker said
    @venda
    I use it a lot if something catches my eye. That said for me normally it's to pull myself out a 'Sticky Situation'.
    I suppose the analyze board is OK, but I don't use it much. Once past the opening book moves, I'll set up my board to analyze.
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    28 Mar '20 17:41
    @venda said
    I therefor decided to stop usi ...[text shortened]... last few moves in a game.
    I rely on it pretty heavily. I remember when Russ introduced it. As a rule I think it's worth looking at the position for as long as practicable before messing around with the analysis board. Objectively it's main value lies in checking that the end position after some combination doesn't contain some sort of sting in the tail. In practice I tend to mess around with the position to generate ideas.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree