1. Joined
    15 Jul '06
    Moves
    21 Jan '19 05:08
    What's up with the player on here who was once rated greater than 2300 now losing regularly to under 1600 players? Oh, if you're over 1600 he'll beat you but if you're like 1200 he will open with 1.... Na6 and follow it up with 2. ... Nh6 and let you mate him in a few moves. Seems very curious.
  2. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    21 Jan '19 13:54
    @buzz-meeks said
    What's up with the player on here who was once rated greater than 2300 now losing regularly to under 1600 players? Oh, if you're over 1600 he'll beat you but if you're like 1200 he will open with 1.... Na6 and follow it up with 2. ... Nh6 and let you mate him in a few moves. Seems very curious.
    Sounds like sandbagging i.e deliberately lowering your rating to enter lower rated tournaments or to try and get games against lower rated players for a clan challenge.
    Either that or just can't be bothered to play low rated players.
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    21 Jan '19 13:59
    @venda said
    Sounds like sandbagging i.e deliberately lowering your rating to enter lower rated tournaments or to try and get games against lower rated players for a clan challenge.
    Either that or just can't be bothered to play low rated players.
    If the latter was true they would just resign the game without moving (and without losing Rating Points). Maybe the Person wants to avoid the machines in tornaments and Plays now in the second Tier?
  4. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    21 Jan '19 14:44
    It's probably @Brrr
    His TER is still 2200+ so it's not that.
    Perhaps he's playing a Robin Hood character robbing from the rich and giving to the poor. What of it? You have the choice not to play them.
  5. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    21 Jan '19 15:37
    @ragwort said
    It's probably @Brrr
    His TER is still 2200+ so it's not that.
    Perhaps he's playing a Robin Hood character robbing from the rich and giving to the poor. What of it? You have the choice not to play them.
    It will take him a year or so to bring the TER down...so no hurry.

If he would like to act the Robin Hood act he could have begun much earlier
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    22 Jan '19 00:05
    @buzz-meeks said
    They may be arranged games, or maybe he's coaching someone.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Jan '19 22:39
    @Buzz-Meeks
    Sounds more like he used to use engines and felt bad about it and stopped and now his real strength is showing.
  8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    28 Jan '19 17:171 edit
    @sonhouse said
    @Buzz-Meeks
    Sounds more like he used to use engines and felt bad about it and stopped and now his real strength is showing.
    A quick look at his profile provides a likely explanation. He has 266 games in progress and is goofing up as a consequence.
  9. Joined
    26 May '10
    Moves
    28 Jan '19 17:50
    @DeepThought

It’s definitely not that. If you look at their actual game history since August, you can clearly see that they are systematically losing to lower rated players, while comfortably beating higher rated players. At one point their rating dropped from over 2300 to under 1200 in less than a month (around 100 games played during this period) and there’s no way that’s due to careless play.

They often have multiple games in the open invite list with a rating limit of something like < 900. It’s pretty inexplicable for a really strong player to want to play multiple 900 rated players and even more inexplicable that they would then go on to lose.

Personally, I think it’s some form of trolling. As far as I can tell, it’s not against the site’s TOS to deliberately lose games, but I do think it’s detrimental and would hope that someone with authority could have a quiet word and get them to stop.
  10. Joined
    26 May '10
    Moves
    28 Jan '19 18:12
    Hmmm. Brrr has just posted a topic on the Help forum requesting the ability to filter their My Games list by opponent rating. Looks like they spotted this topic and are having a laugh.....
  11. Joined
    26 May '10
    Moves
    28 Jan '19 18:38
    Here’s a good recent example of Brrr losing to a lower rated player. This is a player who has been ranked over 2300. Clearly there are joke moves throughout. What’s the point?

Game 13053619

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree