1. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    04 Oct '21 08:09
    A person I once asked mentioned a 24hr type flu where he was on his back in bed for a day.

How do you tell the difference?
  2. Gothenburg
    Moves
    04 Oct '21 09:17
    Sometimes I get the symptoms of a cold which keeps me resting for a day or two and then it's gone. I think I just need to take it easier - body language. 🙂
  3. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    04 Oct '21 10:191 edit
    @drewnogal said
    A person I once asked mentioned a 24hr type flu where he was on his back in bed for a day.

Flu will wipe you out (for more than a day). A cold is usually manageable and still possible to get on with things.
  4. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    04 Oct '21 10:30
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Flu will wipe you out (for more than a day). A cold is usually manageable and still possible to get on with things.
    The UK is said to be heading for a huge flu outbreak this winter. Not yet had my flu jab and we 3 in our house suddenly got trachaeitis within a day of each other 5 days ago and still feeling unwell. One of us never even gets a cold so must be flu I guess as the other had a negative Covid test.
  5. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    04 Oct '21 11:00
    @drewnogal

The problem with short lived viral illnesses is that you really have very little idea what they were. When people get a viral illness at it's worst it gets much easier to figure out what it was because it produces it's typical picture, but if people have it in a mild way it can mimic a 24 hour cold or even be asymptomatic.

Historically some people were found to be immune to polio after a 24 hour cold despite never receiving any vaccination. They had simply had the virus in the form of a mild cold and their body had then killed it off before it got established and developed into the serious illness that it can be.

Impossible to say what virus it was without a level of testing that nobody would do for a 24 hour self limiting illness, but since common things occur commonly it was probably a cold.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Oct '21 11:04
    @drewnogal said
    The UK is said to be heading for a huge flu outbreak this winter. Not yet had my flu jab and we 3 in our house suddenly got trachaeitis within a day of each other 5 days ago and still feeling unwell. One of us never even gets a cold so must be flu I guess as the other had a negative Covid test.
    a long time back my eldest brother caught hongkong flu he passed out in the bathroom and spent over a week in bed.
  7. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    04 Oct '21 11:07
    @drewnogal said

I flipped a coin...it’s a cold.😲👍
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    04 Oct '21 12:04
    @drewnogal said
    Funny last year there was no flu, just covid and now they're trying to get the economy working again it's going to be a flu winter.
  9. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    04 Oct '21 12:15
    @badradger said
    a long time back my eldest brother caught hongkong flu he passed out in the bathroom and spent over a week in bed.
    Trust he made a full recovery.

Did he go on to become Hong Kong Fluey? (Niche joke.)
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Oct '21 12:44
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Trust he made a full recovery.

Did he go on to become Hong Kong Fluey? (Niche joke.)
    my son love it he used to sing2hong kong fuey never seen u for ayear)
  11. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    04 Oct '21 19:18
    My doctor told me I have Tom Jones Syndrome.
    I asked if it was common.
    The doctor said, "It's not unusual."
  12. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    04 Oct '21 21:56
    @relentless-red said
    @drewnogal

The problem with short lived viral illnesses is that you really have very little idea what they were. When people get a viral illness at it's worst it gets much easier to figure out what it was because it produces it's typical picture, but if people have it in a mild way it can mimic a 24 hour cold or even be asymptomatic.

Historically some people were ...[text shortened]... for a 24 hour self limiting illness, but since common things occur commonly it was probably a cold.
    Some colds can make you feel rough and lethargic for days yet it sounds pathetic to ring in sick for work saying it’s because of a cold so we call it flu.
  13. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    04 Oct '21 22:07
    @drewnogal said
    Some colds can make you feel rough and lethargic for days yet it sounds pathetic to ring in sick for work saying it’s because of a cold so we call it flu.
    That's like claiming to have flu to have a sicky when you're sick anyway. If I tried that I'd probably get flu three weeks later which would then sound impossible. I'd have to say I was stuck at home due to wiper blade issues which sounds more pathetic than a cold. It's so much better just being retired.
  14. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    04 Oct '21 22:19
    @relentless-red said
    That's like claiming to have flu to have a sicky when you're sick anyway. If I tried that I'd probably get flu three weeks later which would then sound impossible. I'd have to say I was stuck at home due to wiper blade issues which sounds more pathetic than a cold. It's so much better just being retired.
    Oh dear, the perished rubber issue rears it’s ugly head once again 🙂
  15. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    05 Oct '21 08:54
    @drewnogal said
    Oh dear, the perished rubber issue rears it’s ugly head once again 🙂
    Most discussed topic at the Brook Advisory Clinic.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree