1. e4
    Moves
    29 Dec '19 13:13

A puzzle from the Christmas Quiz which I left out on purpose.

A tale about a plastic toy Hippo (chess related.)

A ring I found in a junk shop that has super-duper magical chess powers.

A game played by me wearing the super-duper magical chess ring.
    It is like Green Lantern but Greenpawn Man or ‘Chess Trap Man.’

A wonderful game: signthisigoddago - razor225 RHP 2012 In fact
    it is so good I’ll give it here as a taster. This is an RHP masterpiece.

Blog Post 438
  2. Joined
    09 Jul '16
    Moves
    02 Jan '20 01:24

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Joined
    09 Jul '16
    Moves
    02 Jan '20 01:29
    I noticed you included a game by Pawn Riot, who was #1 on this site for a while. I think he used to post on the chess forum as well, but I might be misremembering those far off times.

Did he just stop playing here or did he leave for other reasons? (the automatic post-checker prevents me using the obvious word).
  4. e4
    Moves
    02 Jan '20 12:59
    Hi mynameisklint

Pawn Riot was a known good OTB player, I like his games for the clean
    no messing about simple way he played v lower rated players.

Never detected any silicon. Just good moves which upon reflection I'd be thinking:

'...on a good day I would have played the same move.'
  5. Joined
    09 Jul '16
    Moves
    02 Jan '20 19:212 edits
    @greenpawn34
    I must admit I always assumed he was someone who had a plastic pal (who's fun to play with) but having gone through some of his games on a very old blog of yours ( "Play Chess the Pawn Riot Way. The RHP No.1" ), I now think that he looks much more like a strong OTB player who played slightly unsound stuff on this site, just for fun.
  6. e4
    Moves
    03 Jan '20 13:09
    Hi mynameisklint

Playing for fun is what this place is all about and if you pick up something
    of value along the way then great. I know I have dozens of times. and picked
    up more than a few good chess friends along the way.

Occasionally playing 'slightly unsound' (or in my case grossly unsound) is fair game
    here. We have to remember it's not an OTB game where our opponent is playing
    just one game in quiet surroundings. Here they could be playing dozens and
    picking their move on a mobile app whilst travelling on a bus.

One of my favourite unsound moves (blatant trap) was...

Flipperwaldt - Me Rhp 2014 Game 10641135

White has just played 19.Bd3. Now set an unsound trap as Black.

7. Joined
    09 Jul '16
    Moves
    03 Jan '20 15:35
    Nice! That queen-trapping idea didn't occur to me. I was too busy looking at ways to get the e5-e4 pawn fork in and decided that Nxf2 was the best move.

It's a useful skill to have to be able to see what your opponent is planning and then set a trap that is subtle enough for them not to smell a rat.

This an example of me doing this when I was just starting to play in tournaments, over 30 years ago. I had blundered my queen early on but because I was a junior I didn't resign, I was just plodding along, waiting for my opponent to finish me off. However when he created an Alekhine gun, I realised he was going to try to checkmate me on the back rank ( "It is never pleasant to be probed along one's own back rank" ), and I thought for ages on the best way to allow him to carry out his unsound plan:

He was so flustered that I ended up winning the game.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree