1. Joined
    08 Apr '12
    Moves
    08 Sep '18 18:49
    Hello–

I've written up some of my thoughts on how chess can and should be used in fictional settings, and pointed out some of the common problems therein. Let me know what you think!

Blog Post 396

Best,
    Orion
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    08 Sep '18 19:032 edits
    Originally posted by @hikarushindo
    Hello–

I've written up some of my thoughts on how chess can and should be used in fictional settings, and pointed out some of the common problems therein. Let me know what you think!

Blog Post 396

Best,
    Orion
    I think you have the general idea. I'm dating myself a bit, but the book The Queen's Gambit by Walter Tevis (still my all time favorite chess fiction book) from the 80's brings together most of the ideas you speak of. If you're thinking of writing a piece of chess fiction Please....DO IT!! There is not nearly enough of it out there.

Another idea you might consider is of a chess player of average talent who becomes a strong player by means of persistence and well organized work habits simply because he or she loves the game, and wants to play it well. Following their progress from beginner to master could be a book that many players can relate to.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 16:131 edit
    Kurt Vonnegut Kr, All The King's Horses:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_the_King%27s_Horses_(short_story)
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    11 Sep '18 12:31
    And then, of course, there are the chess stories where the actual chess doesn't matter at all, but the chess player does. Nabokov's Defense, for example, which I found interesting, but a greater insight into Nabokov's own obsessive hang-ups than into the psyche of a real chess player.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree