1. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    05 Jan '22 17:16
    Where is this spelled out - I do use databases but I do NOT use computer engines so I know that much. Is there a document spelling this out? I recently went on the Chessbase Shop to purchase some instructional material to help my horrible play and it recommended that I buy a Powerbook - but I noticed that the Powerbooks include information generated by computer analysis - does that make them illegal to use even tho they are just 'databases'? IDK!!! I don't want to cheat (no matter how bad or how well I've played you can rest assured that it is me behind all the moves) but my use of databases of previously played games is mainly about learning how the masters play a particular position - if I don't understand a move I don't make it. So, how can I stay within the lines?
  2. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    05 Jan '22 17:221 edit
    @TerrierJack
    https://www.dailychess.com/site/terms-of-service.php

3. YOUR REGISTRATION OBLIGATIONS
    (b) While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. Endgame tablebases may not be consulted during play but you may reference books, databases consisting of previously played games between human players, and other pre-existing research materials.
  3. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    05 Jan '22 17:39
    @mwmiller Thank you so much! But I'm still a little confused because you could interpret a Powerbase to be "other pre-existing research materials." Is that right? I guess a book on a particular opening would be the same. I suppose the same could be said if I analyzed (with computer assistance) a position that I was NOT currently playing - saved the analysis - and then used it when I did play that opening. I'm probably not organized enough to have done that in the past but I suspect that would be the same as the Powerbase. So, I conclude I should be able to use a Powerbase without being guilty of cheating.
  4. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    05 Jan '22 17:54
    @TerrierJack
    You may be able to get better or more specific advice by sending a feedback to site admin.
  5. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    05 Jan '22 19:50
    @terrierjack said
    @mwmiller Thank you so much! But I'm still a little confused because you could interpret a Powerbase to be "other pre-existing research materials." Is that right? I guess a book on a particular opening would be the same. I suppose the same could be said if I analyzed (with computer assistance) a position that I was NOT currently playing - saved the analysis - and then us ...[text shortened]... the Powerbase. So, I conclude I should be able to use a Powerbase without being guilty of cheating.
    There's features on here which aren't available to an OTB player.The analyze board feature allows you to "try" as many options as you wish without actually committing to a move.
    I would say the definition of cheating on here is playing a game ,setting the game up on a computer and "asking" the machine to give you your next move.
    Looking at opening strategy in a book or on you tube for example is in my opinion ,fine.
  6. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    10 Jan '22 18:14
    @mwmiller said
    @TerrierJack
    https://www.dailychess.com/site/terms-of-service.php

3. YOUR REGISTRATION OBLIGATIONS
    (b) While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. Endgame tablebases may not be consulted during play but you may reference books, databases consisting of previously played games between human players, and other pre-existing research materials.
    Thank you for locating that!

I knew I had seen that spelled out somewhere, but only checked the menus at the top of the page instead of looking for links at the bottom of the page.
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10 Jan '22 19:21
    @venda said
    There's features on here which aren't available to an OTB player.The analyze board feature allows you to "try" as many options as you wish without actually committing to a move.
    I would say the definition of cheating on here is playing a game ,setting the game up on a computer and "asking" the machine to give you your next move.
    Looking at opening strategy in a book or on you tube for example is in my opinion ,fine.
    Would agree with that.
  8. Standard memberPaladin I
    LEROYBROWN
    south side of chitow
    Moves
    15 Jan '22 08:09
    Fide dumb
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Jan '22 06:12
    @terrierjack said
    Where is this spelled out - I do use databases but I do NOT use computer engines so I know that much. Is there a document spelling this out? I recently went on the Chessbase Shop to purchase some instructional material to help my horrible play and it recommended that I buy a Powerbook - but I noticed that the Powerbooks include information generated by computer analysis - ...[text shortened]... icular position - if I don't understand a move I don't make it. So, how can I stay within the lines?
    Years ago I kept an MCO in a drawer in my computer desk so I could determine which openings were in play and a bit of strategy for each. I see no problem with researching openings in this way (I could determine when we left 'book', for example). This helped my internal knowledge of openings tremendously, but this seems like a somewhat natural evolution for a chess player.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree