1. Joined
    13 Jul '06
    Moves
    15 Feb '17 04:51
    Hello,

My opponent's time has expired and he has admitted that he is using the Vacation feature to avoid the timeout loss. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I would think that this would be considered somewhat unethical. My question is, are there any rules governing this type of behavior, for or against? I'm not sure if this is a factor but this is a tournament game. I welcome all suggestions and/or comments. Thank you for your time.

Peace, Bob
    High Chieftain
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    15 Feb '17 06:081 edit
    This crops up regularly in "hardcore" tournaments. His behaviour is unethical and unsportsmanlike, but it isn't actually against the site rules. We've asked several times for "hardcore" tournaments to be excluded from the vacation system, but so far it hasn't happened.

In the meantime, I'd suggest that you "name and shame", and make a point of being very careful with your own times, even turning on your own vacation flag at the last minute if necessary. His 36 allowed days will run out eventually, and he won't be able to do the same thing to anyone else in 2017.

Hopefully, the weight of complaints will eventually force the site owners to close this loophole.
  3. Joined
    13 Jul '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '17 00:40
    Hey Kewpie,

Thank you for your very informative reply. I have never used the vacation feature so I was unaware that there were a limited number of days allowed. I suppose I could stretch the game out so that they use as many days as possible. As for your "name and shame" suggestion, I understand the concept but it's just not my style. My approach is more subtle but probably less effective. I feel that he knows what he is doing, since he admitted it, and he will have to live with his decision and live with himself. No one can escape one's self..............
    As for filing a complaint, is there a particular thread, forum or department that I can approach with my concern that will be the most effective? Thanx again!

Peace, Bob
  4. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    16 Feb '17 01:43
    The latest discussion is in Thread 170230 in the Site Ideas forum.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree