Screen Format

Subscriberdm7
Help 04 Apr '15 09:53
  1. High Wycombe, UK
    Moves
    04 Apr '15 09:53
    Suggestion:
    These days most of us have computer screens which are "wide" in the landscape sense.
    However, the main chess window on this website is portrait format.
    I wonder if the people who run this otherwise excellent service might consider a redesign so that we can see more on our laptop and desktop screens without scrolling?
    David
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    05 Apr '15 00:151 edit
    check out Thread 163635.

A new screen format is currently beta testing.
  3. High Wycombe, UK
    Moves
    06 Apr '15 07:30
    🙂
  4. High Wycombe, UK
    Moves
    28 Apr '15 04:10
    The changes are a big improvement... but the main playing board and the analysis board are still generally square, leaving lots of white space on the sides of my landscape computer screen. There's still potential to rearrange to a more efficient layout whenever you web designers have a bit more spare time. :-).
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    28 Apr '15 11:08
    Originally posted by dm7
    The changes are a big improvement... but the main playing board and the analysis board are still generally square, leaving lots of white space on the sides of my landscape computer screen. There's still potential to rearrange to a more efficient layout whenever you web designers have a bit more spare time. :-).
    Board will have to stay square, sorry, that is the rules. 😉

Have you changed your max board size preference from the board style settings (button above board on game board.)?

At its largest, you can fill most monitors.
  6. High Wycombe, UK
    Moves
    29 Apr '15 11:38
    Apologies for lack of clarity, I agree that a square board for chess is probably what we all need, and it does fit onto my screen nicely. What doesn't fit on my screen is the useful information that comes down below the level of the board. i.e. game details & notes, time control data. Then there are all the various menu options at the top of the window. These all take up scarce inches top to bottom on my screen. However, being landscape shaped, my laptop screen has lots of unused empty space at the sides. I feel sure that some of the information above and below the chess board could be moved to the sides.

The Analysis board is perhaps less of an issue, but that still comes up in a Square Window and on my small laptop I have to scroll to see some of the useful information below the board.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great chess site, I was just hoping that suggestions from those of us who use it might help make it even better in the future.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree