1. Florida East Coast
    Moves
    09 Dec '20 03:34
    In my game no. 14057463 still in progress, I experienced a serious (RHP software) malfunction that effectively gave my opponent playing Black 2 extra moves by not registering my corresponding moves.

I played the Black move 54...Qe4c2, but it not appear on the game board after White played his move 55. b3. When it became my turn, I saw his b5 move, but my previous Queen move was not there (my Queen was still on the e4 square and the c2 square was vacant), but Black's move had his Pawn moved to the b3 square.

I tried to move my Queen back to the c2 square where it belonged, but both the e4 and c2 squares turned pink and a message popped up than said I made an illegal move. There is no "back-arrow" to return to a previous position. For that matter, there is no "forward arrow" either. Most chess websites, for example "ItsYourTurn.com have these useful controls so you can review previous moves. As a side issue, I think that would be a good improvement for RHP.

Nevertheless, I was stuck in this position with pink squares glaring and the board locked. The only thing I could think of doing was to try moving my Queen back to e4 from the c2 square. That worked to turn the pink highlighting back to yellow, but I had lost my turn. I tried looking at the move history on the lower-right, but I could not find a way to show it. Maybe it does not work because I was still at the beginning of my move. Who knows? I presume it is now Black's move.

Black will surely advance his Pawn again with the goal of Queening his Pawn using two consecutive moves to do so. I think I can still win unless this problem occurs again on my next move. It is discouraging because I have enough trouble trying to play a good game without fighting the game move GUI.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't find a way to report a problem like this in a timely fashion to someone that can take some kind of corrective action. I would like to have the board returned to the position right after my opponent's last move, 54. Ke2f1 so I can reapeat my 54.... Qe4c2 and hopefully have it stick to be there on my following turn to move. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, I have been thinking about something I may have done incorrectly. But, a good User Interface should be idiot proof and make it impossible for the User to do something wrong. It seemed to catch a problem with the pink high-lighting and error message. But the error message was wrong. I looked carefully to find something that would make the move illegal, such as exposing an opponent's check. There were no such illegal problem. I hope this serves as a clue for finding the problem. Next time, if there is a next time, I will be sure to take a screenshot to document the problem.
    Thanks you
  2. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    10 Dec '20 10:03
    @rak said
    In my game no. 14057463 still in progress, I experienced a serious (RHP software) malfunction that effectively gave my opponent playing Black 2 extra moves by not registering my corresponding moves.

I played the Black move 54...Qe4c2, but it not appear on the game board after White played his move 55. b3. When it became my turn, I saw his b5 move, but my previous Queen move ...[text shortened]... e, if there is a next time, I will be sure to take a screenshot to document the problem.
    Thanks you
    I haven't looked at your game ,but I can tell you it is almost unknown for there to be a software error in RHP.
    First of all, there is a facility on here where you can review a game's progress.
    Click on analyze board on the main screen.
    Secondly, at the bottom of every page there is a "send feedback" tab where you can contact the admin's.
    It may take a while but they always respond eventually.
    Hope this helps
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    11 Dec '20 12:43
    Use the "game history" button and play through the game from the beginning. You may find an answer there.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree