1. Standard memberKhandita108
    Loco Wahine
    Hawaii
    Moves
    18 Apr '17 07:23
    About rating points, I noticed in someone's profile something curious. That player had the rating of around 1400, but had lost ALL of his/her games. There was not a single win anywhere. How could someone have a rating as high as that and NO wins? I did notice, however, the average ratings this player played was around 1700. Does that have something to do with it? Or is it a computer glitch?
    Thanks.
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    18 Apr '17 08:04
    More information needed. It matters if fewer than 20 rated games have been completed.
  3. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    18 Apr '17 10:56
    Originally posted by Khandita108
    About rating points, I noticed in someone's profile something curious. That player had the rating of around 1400, but had lost ALL of his/her games. There was not a single win anywhere. How could someone have a rating as high as that and NO wins? I did notice, however, the average ratings this player played was around 1700. Does that have something to do with it? Or is it a computer glitch?
    Thanks.
    It has to do with playing high rated Players. If you opnly Play 1700+ our Rating can't go below something like 1300...
    The Rating is a statistical value and is strongly dependent on your choice of opponents.
  4. Standard memberKhandita108
    Loco Wahine
    Hawaii
    Moves
    18 Apr '17 20:35
    There were more than 20 games, quite a few more, but I don't exactly remember how many. If I chance upon it again I'll count. Personally I don't care that much about ratings but I was curious. Thanks.
  5. Standard memberKhandita108
    Loco Wahine
    Hawaii
    Moves
    18 Apr '17 20:36
    Interesting....thanks.
  6. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    18 Apr '17 21:03
    As a general guide (once you have played your first 20 rated games)
    :
    If you beat a higher rated player than yourself you will win more points than if you beat a lower rated player.
    If you lose to a higher rated player you will lose less points than if you lose to a lower rated player.

There is plenty of further information about rating calculations in the FAQ if you would care to study the details.

There is also a chart floating around in the help forum that shows the number of points that will be gained or lost based on the amount of difference in rating between the opponents.You will need to go back a few pages to find it but it's out there somewhere.
  7. Joined
    07 Jul '12
    Moves
    18 Apr '17 21:05
    By the way, mwmiller is referring to Thread 80000.
  8. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    19 Apr '17 12:06
    Originally posted by Sebastian Yap
    By the way, mwmiller is referring to Thread 80000.
    Yes, that's the one. Thanks for digging it out!

This discussion comes up often enough that the chart should be added to the FAQ.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree