Kindle problem

Subscriberbob58
Help 06 Apr '22 19:45
  1. Joined
    04 Apr '09
    Moves
    06 Apr '22 19:45
    Recently several games have started displaying incorrectly on my Kindle. I have to resize the board to get the correct display. Otherwise things are scrambled. Everything works fine on my computer.
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    07 Apr '22 09:08
    A software update on the Kindle appears to have broken RHP in the way described Thread 191986. (The screen is not repainting correctly)

I do have a test device now, and have been checking to see if this issue has been reverted their end with more recent updates - but I suspect now that is unlikely.

Can you let me know exact device you are using? (And have you been permitted firmware updates to the Kindle?)
  3. Joined
    04 Apr '09
    Moves
    07 Apr '22 11:51
    @Russ
    I am using a Kindle "fire". It is very confusing because it seems to be the position on my games list rather than the individual game that causes a problem. For example, when I go to the games waiting list the first 15 or so games will display correctly but that the next 3 will be scrambled. When I finish one of those first games, the games that are scrambled simply moves down one spot. Also, when I use two fingers to resize the display (I am using "mini" board) if I do it just right the board appears correctly.

This just started happening in the last Month and I don't recall accepting any updates.

Thanks for the help,

Bob Mathews
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Apr '22 13:431 edit
    @russ said
    A software update on the Kindle appears to have broken RHP in the way described Thread 191986. (The screen is not repainting correctly)

I do have a test device now, and have been checking to see if this issue has been reverted their end with more recent updates - but I suspect now that is unlikely.

Can you let me know exact device you are using? (And have you been permitted firmware updates to the Kindle?)
    I have not seen any firmware updates from Amazon for my Fire ever. I have like 3 of them, and none of them has ever had a firmware update, only software updates.

My exact device model is a "Fire HD 10 (9th generation)".

Also, I am using "Fire OS 7.3.2.2"
    Installed February 23, 2022, 8:41 AM.

Oooooh, I see I have 6 system component updates.
    I'll get those updates now and post back here after.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Apr '22 13:56
    Nope, after installing those 6 updates and a hard reboot, the screen redraw problem persists.

I may have to contact Amazon directly over this.
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    18 Apr '22 11:123 edits
    I have isolated the cause of this - the Fire appears to have decided it no longer likes SVG graphics. ("Scalable Vector Graphics".)

edit : The Silk (Amazon's browser) developer's guide states full SVG support. 🤷‍♂️
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Apr '22 16:58
    @russ said
    I have isolated the cause of this - the Fire appears to have decided it no longer likes SVG graphics. ("Scalable Vector Graphics".)

edit : The Silk (Amazon's browser) developer's guide states full SVG support. 🤷‍♂️
    I also found out that the problem resides in the Silk browser.

I managed to find another browser (something called "My chromium" available for free in the Amazon app store for the Fire) and surfing RHP with this browser shows no screen-painting error.

This tells me the problem is the Silk browser.

Nice to hear you've narrowed it down to the Silk's problem with SVG. I'll mention this when I contact Amazon. No promises they'll listen.
  8. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    20 Apr '22 14:01
    @suzianne said
    This tells me the problem is the Silk browser.
    Sorry, I wasn't specific about this - I was assuming the use of the default browser. (Silk). I suspect most Fire users do not install an alternative.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree