1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Nov '20 17:52
    Is it ok for members of this site to call other members or groups of members racists or fascist or some other derogatory term?

I thought personal insults or derogatory name calling was supposed to be against the New rule enforcement on this site. I could be wrong.
  2. Joined
    28 Jul '07
    Moves
    03 Nov '20 21:34
    @Eladar

Firstly, alert a post that you find offensive and a moderator will remove it accordingly.

Secondly, you are far and away the most offensive poster on this site as your posts claiming people in France and the West deserve to be beheaded testify.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Nov '20 21:38
    @neilarini

I am just asking for clarification about name calling. What you find offensive, I care not.
  4. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    04 Nov '20 01:34
    Moderators use their own judgement when reviewing reports. Alerts by fanatics of whatever persuasion would normally not be acted upon unless the text is objectively offensive.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 Nov '20 01:391 edit
    @kewpie said
    Moderators use their own judgement when reviewing reports. Alerts by fanatics of whatever persuasion would normally not be acted upon unless the text is objectively offensive.
    Just wondering if there is supposed to be a policy for this stuff, or if moderating is by whim.

You know, moderators holding one standard for some people and a different standard for others. Hopefully that is not how this site operates.
  6. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    04 Nov '20 02:241 edit
    There's a private moderators' forum overseen by the site owner, so I would expect commonsense to prevail. I don't believe the English site owner would hold any strong views on American issues.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 Nov '20 02:271 edit
    @Kewpie

I did not know that a consistant moderating procedure was an American thing.

But still an official answer to my original question would be appreciated.
  8. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    04 Nov '20 11:55
    @eladar said
    Is it ok for members of this site to call other members or groups of members racists or fascist or some other derogatory term?

I thought personal insults or derogatory name calling was supposed to be against the New rule enforcement on this site. I could be wrong.
    Your answer: It is not.

As you might know the devbates Forum has been shut down due such Problems.

As many have pointed out before:

* Alert offensive Posts
    * Refrain from using deregatory usage of language yourself
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Nov '20 19:331 edit
    @ponderable said
    Your answer: It is not.

As you might know the devbates Forum has been shut down due such Problems.

As many have pointed out before:

* Alert offensive Posts
    * Refrain from using deregatory usage of language yourself
    I have been alerting the same people doing the same thing. Their behavior is not changing.

I will continue to alert. If I did what they are doing, I would get banned.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Nov '20 21:491 edit
    How long should I wait until I see that moderating will not happen so that I can give an appropriate reply? I do not believe that I should be free to attack without reply.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Nov '20 06:53
    @eladar said
    I have been alerting the same people doing the same thing. Their behavior is not changing.

I will continue to alert. If I did what they are doing, I would get banned.
    On the other hand, if someone espouses racist views, then calling them racist should not be a crime.
  12. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    11 Nov '20 07:341 edit
    @eladar said

I think it is important to be clear when words are being used as personal insults and when they are being used appropriately according to their definition. I have no problem with the term racism being used to describe racism and I have no problem with term fascism being used to describe fascism.

This is a site where children and young people might visit to learn chess. I would imagine that as a teacher you would expect them not to be exposed to racism. I would imagine that anything less would be below the acceptable standards for your profession as it was for mine. I would imagine that you would not want the world of chess to be associated with racism in their minds. I would also imagine that you would want RHP to thrive by conforming to the expectations of the companies advertising on the site.

Holding all the above in mind I am sure that you would agree that the appropriate use of the term 'racism' is particularly important on this site?
  13. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    11 Nov '20 07:51
    Labeling People don't lead them to better themselves.

There should be alerts on all things offensive.

It is striking though who complains in some cases...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree