Android and app

Subscribervenda
Help 25 Oct '22 13:50
  1. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    25 Oct '22 13:50
    On various threads,I see references to the android and the app.
    What do these terms mean in respect of the site?
    I am guessing the app is something to do with mobile phones.
    I use the site via the website with a chromebook which has it's own operating system independent of windows.
    Is my device regarded as an android device?
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    25 Oct '22 14:35
    @venda said
    On various threads,I see references to the android and the app.
    What do these terms mean in respect of the site?
    I am guessing the app is something to do with mobile phones.
    I use the site via the website with a chromebook which has it's own operating system independent of windows.
    Is my device regarded as an android device?
    If you use the browser all the things about the app shouldn't concern you. The app is of course a second product and has its own design and pro's and con's.

I normally use the browser version, but sometimes I use the phone, and I tend to see more the things I don't like 😉
  3. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    25 Oct '22 15:58
    This might help to explain it. (copied from wikipedia)

"A mobile application or app is a computer program or software application designed to run on a mobile device such as a phone, tablet, or watch. Mobile applications often stand in contrast to desktop applications which are designed to run on desktop computers, and web applications which run in mobile web browsers rather than directly on the mobile device.

Apps were originally intended for productivity assistance such as email, calendar, and contact databases, but the public demand for apps caused rapid expansion into other areas such as mobile games, factory automation, GPS and location-based services, order-tracking, and ticket purchases, so that there are now millions of apps available. Many apps require Internet access. Apps are generally downloaded from app stores, which are a type of digital distribution platforms. "

I usually play on RHP using a laptop, but I do have an iphone and have installed the RHP app on that, which allows me to access the site and check to see if I have moves waiting, in cases when I'm away from my laptop.

Using the app has limited features, as compared to using a regular browser such as firefox to access the site.

(I think there may be a menu option on the app that allows you to use more of the site options, but I have not tried that so far. Perhaps those who use the app can provide further details. I manage to make moves in my games using the app, and that's the extent of my usage from my phone.)
  4. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    25 Oct '22 20:13
    Thanks you two.
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    26 Oct '22 09:131 edit
    One further note - some players might not even really know (or care) that the web site exists at all! - Their entire interaction with RHP might be through the dedicated app for their phone, and no more.

So RHP is now :

- This web site, however you access it : (Either https://www.redhotpawn.com & https://www.dailychess.com)

- An iPhone app : https://apps.apple.com/us/app/play-chess-on-redhotpawn/id1201313767

- An Android app : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netadapt.redhotpawn

All 3 are distinct bits of software, but all using the core RHP server software.
  6. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    27 Oct '22 19:35
    @Russ
    Thanks for the info.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree