abandoned games

Subscribermlb62
Help 09 Jul '22 22:33
  1. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    09 Jul '22 22:33
    What is the policy of this site regarding Double abandoned games?
    What if BOTH players simple stop moving..does the game remain "active" forever, for all eternity ? This is assuming no-one claims a win using the skull button.
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    11 Jul '22 18:491 edit
    If just a regular challenge (non-clan or tournament game) then it will get cleared up eventually (Deleted) in a house-keeping job.

There is little point in awarding the win if neither player is present.
  3. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    11 Jul '22 20:011 edit
    Game 13097566

TY so as an example..in this game, white hasn't answered since Oct 2021 and Black will not claim the skull win...it will stay until a house "clean-up" but in this case, Black player is still very active, playing many other games.
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Jul '22 10:29
    @ogb said
    Game 13097566

TY so as an example..in this game, white hasn't answered since Oct 2021 and Black will not claim the skull win...it will stay until a house "clean-up" but in this case, Black player is still very active, playing many other games.
    In fact I wait for one year until I claim a skull in afriendly (and have lost games to housekeeping, when there was no message beforehand.

This Game 14458223 is currently my oldets game.

Sometimes people come back vene afeter long time.
  5. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    12 Jul '22 14:57
    @Ponderable
    Even if this person returns after nearly a year, you have a massive advantage of material. He has zero chance of even a draw. What is the point of waiting any longer? you're only risking the chance of the game being "closed out" with no rating gain. Are you trying to be some kind of hero?
  6. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Jul '22 15:04
    @ogb said
    @Ponderable
    Even if this person returns after nearly a year, you have a massive advantage of material. He has zero chance of even a draw. What is the point of waiting any longer? you're only risking the chance of the game being "closed out" with no rating gain. Are you trying to be some kind of hero?
    Well this is just a rule I give myself, regardless of actual position. I have encountered people in the past who would rather go down on time than by chekmate...

My main target is not to achieve a high rating (I think I reached 1500 at some moement) but to have fun with the game 😉
  7. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    12 Jul '22 19:31
    @ponderable said
    Well this is just a rule I give myself, regardless of actual position. I have encountered people in the past who would rather go down on time than by chekmate...

My main target is not to achieve a high rating (I think I reached 1500 at some moement) but to have fun with the game 😉
    I am of a similar persuasion.
    I come on here to play chess and don't really care about my rating.The rating system is flawed anyway.I think it should be calculated on rating when the game starts,not finishes but that is another issue which has been debated before.
    If I start a game against a player rated say 1500,he is timed out due to illness so his rating drops to 1000 for example because people time him out and then he returns and beats me I lose a lot more rating points.If I win, I gain fewer.One reason why I don't care about rating
  8. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    12 Jul '22 22:52
    @venda
    ok you bring up some valid points....I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but why not have the website enforce the skull timeouts after a week or so. That way, the opponent can still feel good about himself for not clicking on the skull button..
  9. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    13 Jul '22 08:12
    @ogb said
    @venda
    ok you bring up some valid points....I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but why not have the website enforce the skull timeouts after a week or so. That way, the opponent can still feel good about himself for not clicking on the skull button..
    Setting the time limit would be the problem, particularly for the shorter time frame games.We never know what is in store for us.If I am in a car crash and lie incapacitated in hospital for 2 weeks should I just write off my games?
    Also bear in mind the timeout protection flag(wrongly labelled the vacation flag) is not available to non subs,so if I am unexpectedly called away for some reason I have no means of protecting my games other than asking my opponents not to time me out.
  10. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    06 Sep '22 23:34
    This is as close as I can get to my problem. For @Russ or anyone that knows:

I am in a club tournament and my opponent skulled out.
    Iwas under the impression that in ladder games and tournament games that are skulled, the Bot TD
    will take the skulls, which seems fair, so as not to tie up the tourney or ladder. But in my case (club tourney) this has not happened.

What is the rule? thanks in advance.
  11. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    07 Sep '22 07:37
    @earl-of-trumps said
    This is as close as I can get to my problem. For @Russ or anyone that knows:

I am in a club tournament and my opponent skulled out.
    Iwas under the impression that in ladder games and tournament games that are skulled, the Bot TD
    will take the skulls, which seems fair, so as not to tie up the tourney or ladder. But in my case (club tourney) this has not happened.

What is the rule? thanks in advance.
    If you refer to Tournament 43045: It is the final round you are not tying up anything 😉
  12. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    08 Sep '22 01:55
    Thanks, Pondy

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree