1. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    19 Jan '22 15:46
    @very-rusty said
    What did K-11 do to you? You two seem to be at each others throats for a while now?

-VR
    That's a puzzler. Where did you get that idea?
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    19 Jan '22 16:59
    @kevin-eleven said
    That's a puzzler. Where did you get that idea?
    I do believe I screwed up and was thinking about two other posters. Apology to the 4 of you! 😉

-VR
  3. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    19 Jan '22 22:161 edit
    Every family potluck growing up my grandma brought her baked beans, people loved them. Granny confessed later it was easy, 2 large cans of Van Camps, mix in a cup of ketchup and 1/2 cup brown sugar, put a free strips of bacon on top. She'd bring it cold, and the hostess baked it when we got there.
  4. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    19 Jan '22 23:09
    Krautburgers also called bierocks. Pastries filled with cabbage, ground beef, onion, seasonings
    It's largely local from German/Russian immigrants who settled here in the late 1800s.
    Some use sauerkraut, but no one locally TG
  5. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    20 Jan '22 02:521 edit
    @gambrel said
    Krautburgers also called bierocks. Pastries filled with cabbage, ground beef, onion, seasonings
    It's largely local from German/Russian immigrants who settled here in the late 1800s.
    Some use sauerkraut, but no one locally TG
    Bierocks sounds like they might be related to pierogies, linguistically at least.

My Mom's side is from Slovakia or thereabouts, so when I was a kid we sometimes had sauerkraut with sausage, apples, and onions, and maybe a sprinkle of carroway seeds.

When I was younger I was a big fan of cold sauerkraut with salt, but my tastes have changed, and I don't even use as much hot sauce as I used to.
  6. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    20 Jan '22 02:57
    On a side note re: Mayo vs Miracle Whip -- generally I prefer Miracle Whip because it's lighter and more vinegary (whereas standard American mayo reminds me of oil paint).

However, a few months ago I bought some Japanese mayo (Kewpie brand) which includes the yolks, and now I like that as well as Mayonesa, which also includes the yolks.

Time will tell whether the cholesterol conspiracy was true or false.
  7. Standard memberStryn
    Blunder Queen
    Moves
    20 Jan '22 03:07
    Hi everyone, how are you?
  8. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    20 Jan '22 03:41
    @stryn said
    Hi everyone, how are you?
    I have occurred, it seems. Generally I don't know how to field such existential questions in a polite way.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree