1. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    19 Apr '21 09:46
    Yesterday I stood in the middle lane of the M6 queuing for an ice cream.

The traffic was at a stand still for five hours after a tragic incident involving a horse box, a caravan and a lorry. After the first hour an ice cream van in the slow lane opened for business. They did a roaring trade in the spring sunshine and then the inevitable happened due to the lack of any facilities. Half the motorway descended on the neatly cut hedgerows of the small Cheshire hamlet next to that bit of motorway. Sad for the locals. It will be interesting to see the impact on the growth of their hedges though.

It was a very social occasion and for many the most human contact they had had all year! You meet an amazing cross section of people if the motorway stops long enough for everybody to leave their car.
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    19 Apr '21 09:56
    @relentless-red said
    Yesterday I stood in the middle lane of the M6 queuing for an ice cream.

The traffic was at a stand still for five hours after a tragic incident involving a horse box, a caravan and a lorry. After the first hour an ice cream van in the slow lane opened for business. They did a roaring trade in the spring sunshine and then the inevitable happened due to the lack of a ...[text shortened]... amazing cross section of people if the motorway stops long enough for everybody to leave their car.
    In my previous job I became the line manager of a person who was previously my line manager. Once a month we would meet for supervision. It was very weird.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Apr '21 10:21
    I would say the highest density of ostensibly "weird" situations that I was in over a period of time was my first year in Indonesia 1991-1992. The second period of above-average "weird" situations density was probably in my first year in Japan 1994-1995.
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    19 Apr '21 11:04
    The number of times I have gone into the "Ladies" washrooms, by mistake.
  5. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    19 Apr '21 11:08
    @great-big-stees said
    The one place where offering your seat to a lady is simply never taken as old fashioned gallantry.
  6. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    19 Apr '21 11:10
    @relentless-red said
    The one place where offering your seat to a lady is simply never taken as old fashioned gallantry.
    I was surprised that no urinals were on offer...then she struck me.
  7. Gothenburg
    Moves
    19 Apr '21 15:42
    @great-big-stees said
    I was surprised that no urinals were on offer...then she struck me.
    Stees, there usually is a sign on the door showing 'Gents' and'Ladies'. How can you possibly miss it - are you often drunk?
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    19 Apr '21 16:54
    @torunn said
    Stees, there usually is a sign on the door showing 'Gents' and'Ladies'. How can you possibly miss it - are you often drunk?
    In the 2nd of my two “faux pas” there was an obstruction leading me to believe the sign said “men”. I could not see the “Wo”. The other was just a “ mistake”. In neither was there any alcohol involved.
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    19 Apr '21 16:581 edit
    @great-big-stees said
    In the 2nd of my two “faux pas” there was an obstruction leading me to believe the sign said “men”. I could not see the “Wo”. The other was just a “ mistake”. In neither was there any alcohol involved.
    I did this cold sober back in 2011 was on a trip to a little Island off of Vancouver called Port Hardy. We had a stop in Toronto I believe it was and walked into the women's side instead of the men's. There were two women there and I said oops I took the wrong turn, they actually thought it was quite funny. I should have been embarrassed but I wasn't as they took it well. Man those washrooms were some big.

-VR
  10. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    19 Apr '21 18:41
    @great-big-stees said
    And no one batted an eyelid!
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    19 Apr '21 18:51
    @drewnogal

LOL....

-VR
  12. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Apr '21 18:56
    @relentless-red said
    If you think that's the only place, you haven't met a modern "feminist".
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Apr '21 19:02
    @torunn said
    You'd be surprised.

Most places I've been to indeed show that sign in the local language. But a. that local language may not be yours and 'M' may mean 'Mulier', i.e. 'woman'; and rather more unfortunately, insistently with-it establishments may use "creative" signs for the two (or whatever - they're as confused as I am and definitely more out of pocket!) genders that are completely unguessable unless you're not only as, but also the same kind of woke as the interior decorator.

I've never missed one yet, but cambronne, I have come close.
  14. Gothenburg
    Moves
    19 Apr '21 19:14
    @shallow-blue said
    You'd be surprised.

Most places I've been to indeed show that sign in the local language. But a. that local language may not be yours and 'M' may mean 'Mulier', i.e. 'woman'; and rather more unfortunately, insistently with-it establishments may use "creative" signs for the two (or whatever - they're as confused as I am and definitely more out of pocket!) genders that ...[text shortened]... [/i] woke as the interior decorator.

I've never missed one yet, but cambronne, I have come close.
    Maybe we should give ourselves time, and not wait until the last second. 🙂
  15. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Apr '21 20:17
    @torunn said
    Maybe we should give ourselves time, and not wait until the last second. 🙂
    Maybe the mulieri shouldn't hold up the line by chatting so much.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree