1. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 00:03
    You've just been pulled over by the police and are given a moving violation ticket for making an improper turn. Your options are as follows:

A) Avoid court, pay the ticket ($85), but get 3 points on your driver license

B) Go to court, argue your case with the judge, and hope he believes your version over that of the police officer

C) Make plea bargain with prosecutor for a charge of "unsafe driving", which total dollar costs is $389.....but this carries NO points against your license.

I went to court today for such an incident, and chose option C. It sucked, but I wanted to avoid the points.

What would you do in the same situation?
  2. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 00:28
    @chaney3 said
    You've just been pulled over by the police and are given a moving violation ticket for making an improper turn. Your options are as follows:

B) Go to court, argue your case with the judge, and hope he believes your version over that of the police officer

C) Make plea bargain with prose ...[text shortened]... option C. It sucked, but I wanted to avoid the points.

skip court
    move to sumatra
    become a fisherman
  3. Standard memberPatzering
    is getting old...
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 00:38
    C

If I was guilty.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 01:14
    What are the ramifications of what point totals?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 01:21
    @patzering said
    C

If I was guilty.
    Agreed.

The turn I made was in no way wreckless or dangerous, but I slightly used part of the adjacent lane to get around a bus, and make my turn. The police officer took issue with it, and I hardly think I would have had a strong argument to bring to the judge.

The huge issue here, of course, is whether or not to eat the points and save over $300 today.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 01:26
    @eladar said
    What are the ramifications of what point totals?
    It comes down to insurance dollars.

I didn't do my homework beforehand because I didn't expect the ticket cost to jump $300 dollars to avoid the points.

I also didn't expect to be offered "unsafe driving" as a better option.
  7. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 01:52
    @chaney3 said
    It comes down to insurance dollars.

I didn't do my homework beforehand because I didn't expect the ticket cost to jump $300 dollars to avoid the points.

I also didn't expect to be offered "unsafe driving" as a better option.
    Down at the courthouse they call it "Catch 22."
  8. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 02:33
    @chaney3 said

C) Make plea bargain with prose ...[text shortened]... option C. It sucked, but I wanted to avoid the points.

Option A is what I would do.
    My last traffic ticket was back in 1991.
  9. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 03:421 edit
    I'd choose option A as well. Even if you're a careless driver who chalks up a lot of tickets, you could just practise safe driving until the points expire (after 3 years where I live).
  10. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 06:47
    Option C.
    Hate points.
  11. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 07:11
    @chaney3 said

Option D.

Send me a cheque for 1200 pounds and I will tell you what it is.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 09:01
    C.
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 12:03
    @chaney3 said

The best way to avoid a moving violation for making an improper turn is NOT DO IT in the first place. I've never received a ticket or lost points ever and plan on keeping it that way!!! 😉

-VR
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 21:41
    @very-rusty said
    The best way to avoid a moving violation for making an improper turn is NOT DO IT in the first place. I've never received a ticket or lost points ever and plan on keeping it that way!!! 😉

-VR
    It's highly likely that everyone who drives breaks some sort of traffic laws on a consistent basis....they just don't get caught. That includes you. 😀

Furthermore, most drivers likely don't remember most of what was on their written test to obtain their license, and if a cop pulled them over for a violation they would be surprised to learn they did something wrong.
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    19 Jun '19 22:03
    @chaney3 said
    It's highly likely that everyone who drives breaks some sort of traffic laws on a consistent basis....they just don't get caught. That includes you. 😀

Furthermore, most drivers likely don't remember most of what was on their written test to obtain their license, and if a cop pulled them over for a violation they would be surprised to learn they did something wrong.
    Speak for yourself chaney!!! 😛

I have a brother-in-law been driving for over 50 years, yes he is older than me and he has never gotten a ticket or lost points. I guess if what you claim is true he has been a very lucky man!!! 😉

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree