1. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    01 Aug '20 22:26
    @very-rusty said
    Is this Tik Tok a popular place for people to go?

-VR
    Clockmakers flock to it.
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Aug '20 22:27
    @great-big-stees said
    Clockmakers flock to it.
    OK Stees I will laugh when I have time, sounded like a time joke to me!

-VR
  3. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    01 Aug '20 22:29
    @very-rusty said
    OK Stees I will laugh when I have time, sounded like a time joke to me!

-VR
    Remember VR...time waits for nobody.
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Aug '20 22:30
    @great-big-stees said
    Remember VR...time waits for nobody.
    Not even you Stees, one day time will be up for us all! We just don't know when and how. Covid-19 could still get a bunch of us!

-VR
  5. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    01 Aug '20 22:401 edit
    @rookie54 said
    @huckleberryhound
    thank you for the info
    i've learned a few things today
    No worries big fella. Tiktoc is owned by byte dance, who also own douyin. The stock market buzz is on Microsoft buying Tiktoc. Not a fan of the tech bubble, but Microsoft might get a boost from this.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Aug '20 04:56
    @very-rusty said
    Is this Tik Tok a popular place for people to go?

-VR
    Especially young people. People with youthful idealistic ideas, like democracy and freedom. The Chinese government is keen to monitor such people.
  7. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    πŸ€” Bolton
    Moves
    02 Aug '20 06:45
    @moonbus
    πŸ‘πŸš¬
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    02 Aug '20 14:291 edit
    @moonbus said
    Especially young people. People with youthful idealistic ideas, like democracy and freedom. The Chinese government is keen to monitor such people.
    Thank you moonbus, a sincere answer among the garbage ones!

I really don't care if China monitors me, I even have their popular phone. πŸ™‚ Should I get rid of any adult pictures or is it already too late? πŸ˜‰

-VR
  9. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    03 Aug '20 00:46
    @very-rusty said

I really don't care if China monitors me, I even have their popular phone. πŸ™‚ Should I get rid of any adult pictures or is it already too late? πŸ˜‰

-VR
    VR, if you are even the slightest concerned, it’s already too late.😲
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    03 Aug '20 05:513 edits
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    The real danger of apps which track people is 'guilt by association': these apps don't track just you, they track everyone they can connect you to by any means whatever. These apps vacuum up all the data from your contacts, address book, text messaging, social media, even your calendar appointments, etc., etc. And v.v. and there's the rub, you see: suppose, hypothetically, your 13-yr old niece sends you a text message ("Happy birthday, Uncle Rusty!" ), she is connected by TT to hundreds of chatters, who are themselves connected to thousands or tens of thousands of other chatters your niece never heard of. The tentacles of connections stretch unimaginably far, and you're in that nexus without knowing it. If ONE person in that entire web of connections turns out to be a 'person of interest' to the intelligence community, you are, too.

Now, I'll give you a real-life example: homosexuals are hanged in Iran. An Iranian student studying in the UK outted himself on some social medium while in the UK, thinking he would be safe in a European country. Not quite. Iranian security forces routinely monitor social media, they found his post, and then they went after his lover who was still living in Iran. It's not too difficult to connect the dots with automated tools. Whatever you may think of homosexuality as such, this is scary stuff when governments can pick people up for any crime or pseudo-crime (e.g. disagreement with govt policies) on mere association with someone else.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a conspiracy theorist. I do not believe that TT was specifically designed with evil intent to monitor and harass dissidents. However, given a few tools already in use by the world's intelligence communities, including face-recognition software connected to ID databases, TT is easily integrated into a system of evil intent to do just that.
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    03 Aug '20 11:411 edit
    @rookie54 said
    this is what i've been looking for
    excellent moonbus, dang near perfect
    It actually was perfect! Give him the credit that he deserves! πŸ™‚

-VR
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    03 Aug '20 11:471 edit
    @moonbus said
    The real danger of apps which track people is 'guilt by association': these apps don't track just you, they track everyone they can connect you to by any means whatever. These apps vacuum up all the data from your contacts, address book, text messaging, social media, even your calendar appointments, etc., etc. And v.v. and there's the rub, you see: suppose, hypothetica ...[text shortened]... are connected to ID databases, TT is easily integrated into a system of evil intent to do just that.
    Thanks moonbus, lots of info in that statement.

I had a tech guy try to explain all that to me one day back before the Pandemic at Mcdonalds. He was actually quite upset that I had bought a phone made in china. I told him it was 2nd on the top 10 at that time. I really don't have information on my phone they'd be interested in. I see what you and he meant though about info getting out there about others where it could be used. Something certainly to consider in future purchases.

-VR
  13. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    03 Aug '20 16:19
    TVC-15
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    03 Aug '20 17:311 edit
    @great-big-stees said
    VR, if you are even the slightest concerned, it’s already too late.😲
    No don't have any, just wanted to see the comments I would get from it no bites! πŸ˜‰

-VR
  15. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    πŸ€” Bolton
    Moves
    03 Aug '20 17:57
    @moonbus said
    @rookie54

https://www.cnet.com/news/tiktok-accused-of-secretly-gathering-user-data-and-sending-it-to-china/
    quote (excerpt):

TikTok, known for its quirky 15-second videos, has been illegally and secretly harvesting vast amounts of personally identifiable user data and sending it to China, according to a proposed class-action lawsuit filed in California federal court ...[text shortened]... r have you ever been, or have you ever known anyone who ever was . . . at or near Tiananmen Square ?
    🚬

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree