1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 16:20
    Some threads are directed to a specific person.

Does that make sense?
  2. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 16:29
    @Ponderable
    As far as I am aware no one knows who anyone is.
    We don't even know which country someone is in
    Just because they have a certain flag next to their name does not mean they are from that country.
    Not exactly personalized is it.
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 16:29
    @ponderable said
    Some threads are directed to a specific person.

Does that make sense?
    Well it really isn't allowed, but they usually let go if it isn't overly degrading of the person it appears. Not like years ago, when you'd wind up with a Forum ban. I think it is better and allows for exchanges. People just have to be careful not to cross the line. I think I get the stick poked at me more than anyone, then again I do stir the pot, so don't expect anything less. If it goes over the line in my opinion, I will flag it and it is usually removed by a Moderator.

-VR
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 16:32
    @the-gravedigger said
    @Ponderable
    As far as I am aware no one knows who anyone is.
    We don't even know which country someone is in
    Just because they have a certain flag next to their name does not mean they are from that country.
    Not exactly personalized is it.
    You are correct, and the flag up doesn't really tell where they are from. I think most of the exchanges are all in fun and no one really intends any malice towards anyone else.

-VR
  5. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 17:04
    @very-rusty said
    You are correct, and the flag up doesn't really tell where they are from. I think most of the exchanges are all in fun and no one really intends any malice towards anyone else.

-VR
    I certainly wish you no malice old chap, but if you do happen to lose one of your slippers, I'm cool with that.
  6. Standard memberchessturd
    Trump 2020
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 17:102 edits
    With highly competitive chess sites out there I think the gestapo moderators should relax and let people who pay for a membership post whatever they want. (Within reason of course)
    People are way too sensitive these days.
    It's just text on a screen.
    Years ago their was over moderation here and the forums died down which ultimately caused paying members to go somewhere else.
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 17:19
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I certainly wish you no malice old chap, but if you do happen to lose one of your slippers, I'm cool with that.
    You see the "old chap" tells me you are from the Uk!!! 😉

I rarely wear slippers, so I hope you're not too disappointed. 😛

-VR
  8. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 17:20
    @chessturd said
    With highly competitive chess sites out there I think the gestapo moderators should relax and let people who pay for a membership post whatever they want. (Within reason of course)
    Years ago their was over moderation here and the forums died down which ultimately caused paying members to go somewhere else.
    I think the Moderators have got the balance right on this site. I'm a mod on another chess site where there is a zero-tolerance approach when it comes to controversial posts, something I have come to realize stiffles conversations.
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 17:20
    @chessturd said
    So you are admitting you've been on here before and now on under a different handle. 😉

-VR
  10. Standard memberchessturd
    Trump 2020
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 17:23
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke

Agreed.
    It's better now but getting worse again.
  11. Standard memberchessturd
    Trump 2020
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 17:25
    @Very-Rusty

Nope.
    I have seen some profiles saying they used to be so and so and it isn't a problem.
    Emails and usernames come and go with time.
    As long as you don't play a game against yourself and talk with more than one account it should not be a problem.
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 17:26
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I think the Moderators have got the balance right on this site. I'm a mod on another chess site where there is a zero-tolerance approach when it comes to controversial posts, something I have come to realize stiffles conversations.
    You are absolutely correct on that. As Moderator you have to be careful what you say also don't you. I think I may know the site you are talking about!!!

-VR
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 17:27
    @chessturd said
    @Very-Rusty

Nope.
    I have seen some profiles saying they used to be so and so and it isn't a problem.
    Emails and usernames come and go with time.
    As long as you don't play a game against yourself and talk with more than one account it should not be a problem.
    You seem weary though about saying who you use to be! 😉

-VR
  14. Standard memberchessturd
    Trump 2020
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 17:29
    The whole club forum idea didn't work.
    Nobody posts in those forums. Some clubs have gone years without a single forum post.
    I propose a paying member forum with no moderators and let the regular forums be moderated.
    Don't like it? Don't read it.
  15. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 17:30
    @very-rusty said
    You are absolutely correct on that. As Moderator you have to be careful what you say also don't you. I think I may know the site you are talking about!!!

-VR
    You should do, I told you about it previously in a PM.

I think the anonymous nature of mods on this site is a good idea.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree