13 Apr '19 06:23

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Apr '19 06:251 edit
    @vivify said
    Further more, Rock & Roll is completely dead. It has no presence in mainstream music. A shocking thought given how utterly dominant the genre was for most of the 20th century.
    Depends how puritanical you are being about the terms Rock & Roll” and “completely dead”.

Rock & Roll as a music style “died” in the late sixties after its heyday of the 50s and early 60s. However is still has a core fan base, so is not completely dead. Music never dies is a cliched truism.

Mariah Carey is one of hundreds, thousands of hard working talented Generation X pop stars who have for some reason lost their way, or their audience has moved on. She is about 50 years old now believe it or not and the millennial generation of music consumers have largely abandoned the disciplines which brought about the bands, the groups and the iconic pioneering sounds of the 50s, 60s, and 70s. Guitarists who learned to play from from early school, songwriters who poured over their work like it was a canvas and collaborations driven by a recognition that deep lasting music often requires more than one person to bring it into existence, off of the sheet.

Maybe it’s a generational thing but popular music these days just feels like its a fast food equivalent, a poor-mans contrived narcotic sold in dime-bags or streamed free over the internet as a wafting burning platform for a wider marketing image which involves product placements and visual branding and the malaise that is Instagram, for the sickly “Instagram generation”.

Nevermind, Mick’s heart op went well so the Stones will be touring again soon, 5 old men in the mid 70s filling stadiums all over the world. Who’d have thunk it.
  3. Gothenburg
    Moves
    13 Apr '19 07:11
    Here she is in great company:

YouTube
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    13 Apr '19 12:25
    @divegeester said
    Depends how puritanical you are being about the terms Rock & Roll” and “completely dead”.

Rock & Roll as a music style “died” in the late sixties after its heyday of the 50s and early 60s. However is still has a core fan base, so is not completely dead. Music never dies is a cliched truism.

Mariah Carey is one of hundreds, thousands of hard working talented Genera ...[text shortened]... uring again soon, 5 old men in the mid 70s filling stadiums all over the world. Who’d have thunk it.
    I find it great that singers 50 and over are still filling stadiums!!!

-VR
  5. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    13 Apr '19 14:51

6. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    13 Apr '19 14:52
    @vivify said
    [youtube Maria Carey]2sap-GTtCiU[/youtube]

What do you think of this new pop song from Mariah? I love it. She also due to receive an icon award from Billboard.

And yeah: I know there's a Culture forum but that gets 3 and half posts a year.
    Making music like this should get you on the electric chair.
  7. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    13 Apr '19 14:53
    @very-rusty said
    Well she is HOT!!!

-VR
    Unlike your daughter, who isn't worth a fiver.
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    13 Apr '19 14:55
    @kegge said
    Unlike your daughter, who isn't worth a fiver.
    Kegge that is a picture of your own daughter you were looking at!!! ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ˜‰

-VR
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    13 Apr '19 17:35
    @divegeester said

Mariah Carey is one of hundreds, thousands of hard working talented Genera ...[text shortened]... uring again soon, 5 old men in the mid 70s filling stadiums all over the world. Who’d have thunk it.
    Rock lasted much longer than that. I doubt any fan of Queen, Aerosmith Metallica, Van Halen or Nirvana would agree that Rock died in the 60's. Rock thrived well into the early 2000's, but was completely gone by the mid 2000's (maybe even earlier than that).

I've noticed that it seems every single generations, at least since the start of the 20th century, always complains about the next generation's music. Conservative parents said Rock & Roll was from the devil, said pop music was too sexual, rap was too aggressive.....all the way on to today.

When was the last time a generation actually thought music improved from their own?
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Apr '19 18:07
    @torunn said
    I wonder too - it doesn't sound new to me. Are we too old, Andy...? ๐Ÿ™‚
    I brought myself up on folk music so I have to recuse myself๐Ÿ™‚
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Apr '19 20:50
    @vivify said
    Rock lasted much longer than that.
    Agreed, but weren’t you talking specifically about “Rock & Roll”?
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Apr '19 20:51
    @vivify said
    When was the last time a generation actually thought music improved from their own?
    Never, it’s true.
  13. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    13 Apr '19 21:021 edit

14. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    13 Apr '19 21:20
    @divegeester said
    Agreed, but weren’t you talking specifically about “Rock & Roll”?
    Is there a difference?
  15. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    13 Apr '19 21:40
    @vivify said
    Rock lasted much longer than that. I doubt any fan of Queen, Aerosmith Metallica, Van Halen or Nirvana would agree that Rock died in the 60's. Rock thrived well into the early 2000's, but was completely gone by the mid 2000's (maybe even earlier than that).

I've noticed that it seems every single generations, at least since the start of the 20th century, always compla ...[text shortened]... n to today.

Popular music must evolve, an unsettling process at best.

Here's one for old times' sake:

YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree