1. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    12 Feb '19 22:44
    1 How to navigate the New Thread function.

2 That the North Magnetic Pole is moving towards Siberia!

https://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/magnetic-north-pole-moving-fast/4775913.html
  2. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    13 Feb '19 02:15
    when the russians own the north pole,
    santa claus is toast...
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    13 Feb '19 13:31
    @drewnogal
    Actually when I did my Military Service I learned how to compensate for the difference beween geographic and megnetic North 😉 So that has had some sense in the end.
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    13 Feb '19 15:02
    @rookie54 said
    when the russians own the north pole,
    santa claus is toast...
    I didn't know Santa was actually a real person. I feel bad now about telling my kids that he wasn't, real. I am such a BAD dad. 😢
  5. Gothenburg
    Moves
    13 Feb '19 15:04
    @great-big-stees said
    I didn't know Santa was actually a real person. I feel bad now about telling my kids that he wasn't, real. I am such a BAD dad. 😢
    See, you'll live to regret it... 🙂
  6. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    13 Feb '19 15:08
    @torunn said
    See, you'll live to regret it... 🙂
    Not really because it wasn't my last word, as I am still here among the living so there is hope for my redemption. Now what did I do with their phone numbers? 🤔
  7. Gothenburg
    Moves
    13 Feb '19 15:13
    @great-big-stees said
    Not really because it wasn't my last word, as I am still here among the living so there is hope for my redemption. Now what did I do with their phone numbers? 🤔
    Face-time can be useful.
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    13 Feb '19 15:17
    @torunn said
    Face-time can be useful.
    Nah. Then they'd see how red (embarrassed) I was about telling them something that wasn't factual, most especially since I have always told them that I know everything. 😲
  9. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    13 Feb '19 15:44
  10. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    14 Feb '19 11:06
    @rookie54 said
    [youtube things you didn't know]/Fbi8lbcG2Es[/youtube]
    The best tricks are those that give us some clue of how they are done.
    Those are so incomprehensible that I can’t watch them for long. 🙄
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Feb '19 21:14
    @drewnogal
    I'll bet you didn't know you could put up a coil of wire and get energy from that moving magnetic north, DID YOU!😉
  12. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    15 Feb '19 13:41
    @sonhouse said
    @drewnogal
    I'll bet you didn't know you could put up a coil of wire and get energy from that moving magnetic north, DID YOU!😉
    What? That's just plain unpossible.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Feb '19 16:513 edits
    @Great-Big-Stees
    Moving magnetic lines coupled to many turns of enameled wire makes energy, not much in the case of the moving north but it will make SOME energy. It can also be used to check on the condition of Earth's magnetic field in general. Like if a solar storm hits Earth, the magnetic field lines will compress and that will in turn increase the output of the coil which can be used to see what is going on with Earth's field. Normally the lines are static so no electric current is generated but if the magnetic lines are moving relative to the coil, current is generated and can be measured.

You could also get SOME energy from such a coil by just mounting it on your car and the COIL moves in relation to the static field of the Earth so that will generate energy. Of course that comes at the expense of introducing a small amount of drag on the car, not due to the wind.

I might do that experiment and see how much current is generated at say 60 MPH.
  14. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    20 Feb '19 14:17
    @sonhouse said
    @Great-Big-Stees
    Moving magnetic lines coupled to many turns of enameled wire makes energy, not much in the case of the moving north but it will make SOME energy. It can also be used to check on the condition of Earth's magnetic field in general. Like if a solar storm hits Earth, the magnetic field lines will compress and that will in turn increase the output of the coil wh ...[text shortened]... due to the wind.

I might do that experiment and see how much current is generated at say 60 MPH.
    If you survive, let me know how it goes. 🤔 😲 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree