1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '16 09:38
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    We share with almost every human being the natural faculty of conscience which we are free to exercise. This has produced a shared objective reality enshrined in national and international law.
    People's consciences are diverse. I don't deny that societies have national and international laws and that these create a reality and that people can be, and are, punished, according to those laws. I don't deny that people may for the most part support those laws. But I cannot agree that a consensus, by its very nature, as you put it, is not subjective but objective. I think a consensus is only reached by people's subjective views overlapping and reaching a critical mass.

With murder, the only objective reality is that there is a law forbidding murder is on the books. The consensus in society that it is right for the law to be on the books is the result of the amalgamation and combination of the predominant subjective views of the society's members.

If the law instead said (because a consensus emerged that supported it): murder is forbidden except in the case of (say) revenge for adultery, what is the nature of the "objective reality" in such a society? That murder in the case of revenge for adultery is - objectively speaking - still wrong, or that it is - objectively speaking - no longer wrong?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '16 09:54
    To try to reach a consensus on 'the best film ever', is not expressing any kind of objective reality and its ludicrous to think that it is. All that is being expressed is a subjective preference, not an objective reality.
    You said that "consensus by its very nature is not subjective but objective". But here you are saying that all that is being expressed in a consensus is subjective preferences. This is also my view.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '16 10:011 edit
    Yes it creates an objective reality. 'Murder of innocents is wrong', is an objective reality agreed upon and ratified by countless nation states. If you were to go to a court of law and plead based on your subjectivity that someone 'deserved to die', its most likely that the court will through your defence out based on the objective reality that mu ...[text shortened]... wrong and your subjectivity will have literally no bearing on the matter when you are sentenced.
    It's an "objective reality" that Indonesia executes people for smuggling drugs. It's an "objective reality" that the United Kingdom doesn't execute people at all, for anything. That it is seen as right to execute people for smuggling drugs in Indonesia is arrived at by the subjectivity of the population and its lawmakers. That it is seen as wrong to execute people for any crimes in the United Kingdom is arrived at based on the subjectivity of the members of British society.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Jun '16 23:23
    Originally posted by Seitse
    "Do you even moral philosophy, dudes?"
    "Do you even moral philosophy, dudes?"

That makes no sense at all. Do you want to rephrase?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree