1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 11:441 edit
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Stewart_(phlebotomist)

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=91048&page=1

I was listening to BBC on the way to work and the son of this guy who is now 25 was being interviewed and told what happened. The child at age 11 months went to hospital for asthma treatment only, the father paid a surpise visit supposedly just to see the son, but in reality, he collected blood secretly from his job and injected the 11 month old with HIV contaminated blood and the child was sick instantly because it was also incompatible blood.
    The father aparently did this to kill the child so he would avoid having to pay child support.

So he is having another parole hearing and the son wants him to stay in prison for the rest of his life, doesn't want to talk to him, interact in any way.

Tell me there is no evil on Earth.
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 13:46
    Under Thomistic philosophy, it is not possible for us to choose between
    good and evil, because even when we choose what seems evil, we are
    choosing something in which we find some good.

Just a thought.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 14:05
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Under Thomistic philosophy, it is not possible for us to choose between
    good and evil, because even when we choose what seems evil, we are
    choosing something in which we find some good.

Just a thought.
    That's an evil thought. We know right from wrong. To say otherwise is to promote evil.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 14:07
    Originally posted by sonhouse

I was listening to BBC on the way to work and the son of this guy who is now 25 was being interviewed and told what happened. The child at age 11 months went to hospital for asthma treatment only, the father paid a surpise visit supposedly just t ...[text shortened]... is life, doesn't want to talk to him, interact in any way.

Can't say there's no evil. Problem is we're all prone to it. Every living soul is capable of doing evil. It's a choice.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 14:14
    Originally posted by josephw
    Can't say there's no evil. Problem is we're all prone to it. Every living soul is capable of doing evil. It's a choice.
    A choise or a compulsion? A lot of killers get off with the insanity plea. I don't think that was the case here. This guy just wanted to stop paying child support so in his twisted mind, no kid no pay.
  6. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 18:52
    That's an evil thought. We know right from wrong. To say otherwise is to promote evil.
    1. Write a book about it.
    2. Title it "Saint Thomas Aquinas Was A Douchebag."
    3. Sell zillions and convert the incredulous to your philosophy
    4. ...
    5. Profit!
  7. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 18:58
    I don't think there such thing as good or evil. Only different perspectives, everyone interprets the world differently. Everyone has different life experiences that skew their perception of reality. There is no right way of looking at things, only different ways.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 19:07
    A choise or a compulsion? A lot of killers get off with the insanity plea. I don't think that was the case here. This guy just wanted to stop paying child support so in his twisted mind, no kid no pay.
    Making an insanity plea means they were not mentally capable of choosing between right and wrong. It's bs most of the time.

In the example you used the man should be hanged summarily. When one succumbs to that much evil he should be sent off into the next life.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 19:12
    Originally posted by KnightStalker47
    I don't think there such thing as good or evil. Only different perspectives, everyone interprets the world differently. Everyone has different life experiences that skew their perception of reality. There is no right way of looking at things, only different ways.
    BS. No matter how one interprets reality reality remains constant. Perceptions are all in the mind. The mind doesn't, and can't cause reality to be anything other than what it is.

Too much subjectivity and not enough objectivity can cause one to think that there's no such thing as right and wrong.
  10. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 19:19
    BS. No matter how one interprets reality reality remains constant. Perceptions are all in the mind. The mind doesn't, and can't cause reality to be anything other than what it is.

Too much subjectivity and not enough objectivity can cause one to think that there's no such thing as right and wrong.
    What is good or evil can only be interpreted subjectively. There is no such thing as something that is objectively good or evil.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 19:30
    Making an insanity plea means they were not mentally capable of choosing between right and wrong. It's bs most of the time.

In the example you used the man should be hanged summarily. When one succumbs to that much evil he should be sent off into the next life.
    I would think the punishment should match the crime, so inject him with HIV contaminated blood that is not his type just like he did the baby. See if he survives even the first day.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 19:381 edit
    I would think the punishment should match the crime, so inject him with HIV contaminated blood that is not his type just like he did the baby. See if he survives even the first day.
    Is it common for judges to express this type of religious sentiment?

When your son dies, I'm pretty sure he'll go to heaven. But I really think you're going to burn in hell for all eternity.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 19:41
    Originally posted by sonhouse (OP)

I was listening to BBC on the way to work and the son of this guy who is now 25 was being interviewed and told what happened. The child at age 11 months went to hospital for asthma treatment only, the father paid a surpise visit supposedly just ...[text shortened]... of his life, doesn't want to talk to him, interact in any way.

"There is evil in the world:" Well said.........
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 23:05
    Yes it should, but according to law and not vengeance. Eye for an eye isn't meant to be taken literally any more than cutting off the hand if it offends you. It's about justice.

I don't know the case, but it sounds like premeditated murder. Prosecute to the full extent of the law. If the child dies, well then...
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 23:18
    Originally posted by KnightStalker47
    What is good or evil can only be interpreted subjectively. There is no such thing as something that is objectively good or evil.
    If interpreted subjectively, then there's no standard. Without a standard there is no objectivity. Without objectivity reality is open to interpretation, which cancels out everyone's opinion.

Reality is interpreted according to an objective standard, otherwise we'll be sitting here arguing all day to no effect. That includes the reality of the existence of good and evil.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree