1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    23 Oct '20 12:17
    @suzianne said
    Oh, good grief.

Not everyone is a weak pathetic baby.

Having to take precautions during a freaking pandemic is not "losing your freedom". Grow up and deal with it. If this collapses your precious self-image, I'd wager that being inconvenienced is the very least of your problems.
    Only we must look at the other side not everyone can handle things as well. Some do turn to alcohol. drugs, also suicide. Being out of job and no money, nothing to eat, homeless, can be devastating as you can imagine. We are fortunate not to be in that situation at least at this point in time. Our fortunes can change in a heartbeat.

-VR
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Oct '20 12:25
    @suzianne said
    Oh, good grief.
    Not everyone is a weak pathetic baby.
    Having to take precautions during a freaking pandemic is not "losing your freedom". Grow up and deal with it. If this collapses your precious self-image, I'd wager that being inconvenienced is the very least of your problems.
    For someone who has spoken about their own mental illnesses, it is surprising to see you being so uncaring of the documented issues facing this segment of society.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Oct '20 12:26
    @suzianne said
    Having to take precautions during a freaking pandemic is not "losing your freedom".
    Why have you put “losing your freedom” in quotation marks when I didn’t write those words?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Oct '20 12:27
    @suzianne said
    If this collapses your precious self-image, I'd wager that being inconvenienced is the very least of your problems.
    If what “collapses my self image”?

What are you on about?
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    23 Oct '20 12:291 edit
    @divegeester said
    If what “collapses my self image”?

What are you on about?
    She may be having her own issues with Covid she is trying to hide. Always that chance, she has spoken about her own mental issues in the past. I also can not see why she wouldn't be more compassionate.

-VR
  6. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    23 Oct '20 13:56
    @ponderable said
    @dm7

The Person made 100000 moves in a very short time (and still heads the most frequent mover list for the month) but is awol for two and a half days now after a mass resignation.
    Maybe they decided to break the habit. Some people like to rip up the remaining cigarettes at the point where they stop. 🤔
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    23 Oct '20 14:35
    @petewxyz said
    Maybe they decided to break the habit. Some people like to rip up the remaining cigarettes at the point where they stop. 🤔
    The Person made 100000 moves in a very short time (and still heads the most frequent mover list for the month) but is awol for two and a half days now after a mass resignation.

This doesn't give you any indication something may have actually happened to this poster?

-VR
  8. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    23 Oct '20 14:39
    @ponderable said
    @dm7

profile notes:

"Update 20 October: I need a little break from chess, it just got too much. I'm resigning all my games. I apologise to anybody who I have let down."

sounds straightforward to me
    but
    please don't let straightforward hold you back from any dire guesses you wish to make
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    23 Oct '20 14:441 edit
    @rookie54 said
    profile notes:

"Update 20 October: I need a little break from chess, it just got too much. I'm resigning all my games. I apologise to anybody who I have let down."

sounds straightforward to me
    but
    please don't let straightforward hold you back from any dire guesses you wish to make
    Perhaps he just burned himself out trying to play too many games at once. I remember having 600 games going at one time with at least 3/7 time limits others were longer and it was really tough. Lucky I didn't time out in any of those. I know I was pretty burned out afterwards, too stubborn to pack any of them in though. I pretty well always play to the bitter end.

EDIT: I wouldn't suggest people doing this, though I think there are are few do it on a regular basis of course they are the most active players on the site!

-VR
  10. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    23 Oct '20 20:00
    @very-rusty said

This doesn't give you any indication something may have actually happened to this poster?

-VR
    Yeah, I imagine what I said happened. I expect he decided to kick the habit when he realised it was controlling him rather than him enjoying it.
  11. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    23 Oct '20 20:08
    People resign games for a myriad of reasons.
    Speculation can lead one in myriad directions.
  12. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    23 Oct '20 20:18
    I guess a 'whatever happened to ????' thread is to invite speculation.
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    23 Oct '20 20:38
    @hakima said
    People resign games for a myriad of reasons.
    Speculation can lead one in myriad directions.
    Your are right just spectulation. There has to be some reason as to why someone so active would do a mass resignation of games. Only he knows the reason for it.

-VR
  14. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    23 Oct '20 20:441 edit
    @very-rusty said
    Your are right just spectulation. There has to be some reason as to why someone so active would do a mass resignation of games. Only he knows the reason for it.

-VR
    Whether it has anything to do with his reasons or not, it's an interesting discussion point. Do people get hooked by online chess and find themselves making more moves than they are enjoying?

Edit: I noticed you talked about being careful to limit your game numbers when you thought out loud about entering the GF tournament.
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    23 Oct '20 21:332 edits
    @petewxyz said

Edit: I noticed you talked about being careful to limit your game numbers when you thought out loud about entering the GF tournament.
    Yes, it was recommended to me that I should cut my games and it may improve my game. I am deciding to give that a try and see what happens. I especially want to make sure I take my time moving in my Clan games and give it a little more thought than just blitzing, which what I did my challenge in the GF tournament and managed to draw a game and lost the other one to a player stronger than myself rating wise.

The 600 games I was talking about happened many years ago. I"ll never try that one again, EVER!!! My reason for trying it was to show that ratings could be manipulated which I did by reaching an 1800 plus rating which I am no where near. I just wanted to prove it could be done!

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree