1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Jul '20 21:361 edit
    [A micro-fiction - 100 words]

All I did was push the pawn forward, just a little, at first. I didn’t notice any change initially so I pushed the pawn further forward, toward even greater speed and it began to glow in the heat of time dilation; becoming a Red Hot Pawn.

It was intoxicating! I played and played. Hours flew by in seconds, then days then weeks then months and I was moving through time like a prism casts light, splintered across the aeons in a spectrum of colourful chequered mates.

A voice called out to me ... Good night George.

Goodbye Filby, I replied.
  2. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    26 Jul '20 21:37
    @divegeester said

All I did was push the pawn forward, just a little, at first. I didn’t notice any change initially so I pushed the pawn further forward, toward even greater speed and it began to glow in the heat of time dilation; becoming a Red Hot Pawn.

It was intoxicating! I played and played. Hours flew by in seconds, then days then weeks then mont ...[text shortened]... l chequered mates.

Brilliant!
  3. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    26 Jul '20 22:01
    @divegeester said

It was intoxicating! I played and played. Hours flew by in seconds, then days then weeks then mont ...[text shortened]... l chequered mates.

Another quality micro. You are some writer. Loved the quality description of withdrawal you did as well.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Jul '20 22:35
    @petewxyz said
    Another quality micro. You are some writer. Loved the quality description of withdrawal you did as well.
    Thx Pete.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Jul '20 22:36
    @hakima said
    Brilliant!
    Xx
  6. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Jul '20 07:16
    @divegeester said

Nice.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Jul '20 09:19
    @divegeester
    Mediocre.
    Why the HG Wells "homage"? For gravitas?
    I'm sure you could have done better when sober.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Jul '20 10:33
    @wolfgang59 said
    @divegeester
    Mediocre.
    I'm sure you could have done better when sober.
    Stay bitter.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Jul '20 11:01
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Nice.
    Nice is what you say about Biscuits.
  10. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Jul '20 14:27
    My first attempt at a chess related micro. (I fear it needs work).

Poisoned pawn

Brian rarely won at chess. It was unfortunately in his character that if he spotted a trap, on the board or in life generally, he was strongly inclined to wander into it, purely out of curiosity. “Strange move,” he’d muse, invariably eating a cheese and pickle sandwich. “She’s left her pawn en prise, completely unprotected. A crafty trap perhaps?” At this point he’d take another bite of his sandwich, before willingly capturing the pawn, waiting for the fireworks. This lackadaisical approach to traps had cost him dearly, of course, when it came to conmen offering to sell him London Bridge.
  11. Gothenburg
    Moves
    28 Jul '20 14:31
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

Poisoned pawn

Brian rarely won at chess. It was unfortunately in his character that if he spotted a trap, on the board or in life generally, he was strongly inclined to wander into it, purely out of curiosity. “Strange move,” he’d muse, invariably eating a cheese and pickle sandwich. “She’s lef ...[text shortened]... to traps had cost him dearly, of course, when it came to conmen offering to sell him London Bridge.
    Love it 😍
  12. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    28 Jul '20 16:18
    Revenge of the Time Prawns

While George was out and about, the Time Prawns made themselves at home in his little love nest at 12 Sutton Mews. They made merry with his sherry and hosted scandalous soirées with scads of showgirls. They had no interest in the Earth girls themselves, no matter how saucy, but they did delight in calling them all Barbies.

"Poor George," said Zik. "He's linear now, but once you go frack there's no going back." Krik and Zik toasted to the memory of that singular, linear George.

They took turns impersonating George and causing a ruckus at his favorite gentlemen's club and haberdasher. They also slipped thumb-pianos into the sleeves of his canvas jacket at the Wedgewood Sanitarium in Newcastle, and visited him at his estate on Ligeti IV, where he seemed to be taking his diffraction in stride.
  13. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    28 Jul '20 16:32
    @badradger said
    Nice is what you say about Biscuits.
    Still better than, "Well, that's something, isn't it?"
  14. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    28 Jul '20 18:10
    @caesar-salad said
    Revenge of the Time Prawns

While George was out and about, the Time Prawns made themselves at home in his little love nest at 12 Sutton Mews. They made merry with his sherry and hosted scandalous soirées with scads of showgirls. They had no interest in the Earth girls themselves, no matter how saucy, but they did delight in calling them all Barbies.

"Poor George," ...[text shortened]... and visited him at his estate on Ligeti IV, where he seemed to be taking his diffraction in stride.
    Philip K. Dick meets Hunter S. Thompson?

If so, I like it. 🙂
  15. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    28 Jul '20 18:13
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

Poisoned pawn

Brian rarely won at chess. It was unfortunately in his character that if he spotted a trap, on the board or in life generally, he was strongly inclined to wander into it, purely out of curiosity. “Strange move,” he’d muse, invariably eating a cheese and pickle sandwich. “She’s lef ...[text shortened]... to traps had cost him dearly, of course, when it came to conmen offering to sell him London Bridge.
    Ghost is a virtuoso in verse. Not the inverse.
    Brilliant as ever big man! 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree