1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Dec '19 12:38
    Note: apologies to Torunn for not posting this in her movies we recommend thread. I felt this new one worthy of a thread of its own.

https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/80175798

Watched it last night followed by the round table chat between Scorsese, De Niro, Pacino and Pesci.

Compelling viewing.
  2. Gothenburg
    Moves
    10 Dec '19 12:53
    @divegeester said
    Note: apologies to Torunn for not posting this in her movies we recommend thread. I felt this new one worthy of a thread of its own.

Watched it last night followed by the round table chat between Scorsese, De Niro, Pacino and Pesci.

Compelling viewing.
    I really enjoyed this film. Three and a half hours without intermission were no problem at all. I especially - apart from the excellent acting - appreciated the humour that still was there despite the violence and danger. I love these actors and Martin Scorsese!
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Dec '19 23:39
    @torunn said
    I really enjoyed this film. Three and a half hours without intermission were no problem at all. I especially - apart from the excellent acting - appreciated the humour that still was there despite the violence and danger. I love these actors and Martin Scorsese!
    Was it 3.5 hours!? I had no idea, I would have thought about 2, in fact it never crossed my mind during watching it.

Best movie I’ve seen in great while and possibly one of the last with these greats in together.
  4. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    10 Dec '19 23:45
    @divegeester said
    Was it 3.5 hours!? I had no idea, I would have thought about 2, in fact it never crossed my mind during watching it.

Best movie I’ve seen in great while and possibly one of the last with these greats in together.
    are you living in some sort of time warp
    of course you knew it was long
    but I get your point
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Dec '19 00:06
    @lemondrop said
    are you living in some sort of time warp
    of course you knew it was long
    but I get your point
    We are all living in a time warp, time is caused by mass interacting with the fabric of space and the relative speed of the passing of time is determined by our position relative to the object more in a speed, being observed .

However the perception of time itself and in what direction, is better described using the laws of entropy which demonstrate thar occurrences can only happen in one direction, forward.

So basically time travels slower when you are watching a good movie.
  6. Gothenburg
    Moves
    11 Dec '19 08:251 edit
    @divegeester said

I am deceived by dangerous roles and characters like Joe Pesci's in this film - a very dangerous man but his appearance is that of an intelligent, kind and helpful man. And yes, he is loyal to his closest friends such as the Irishman but otherwise his loyalties can switch, others unaware. I am reluctantly fascinated by the Maffia and their power.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Dec '19 14:27
    @torunn said
    I am deceived by dangerous roles and characters like Joe Pesci's in this film - a very dangerous man but his appearance is that of an intelligent, kind and helpful man. And yes, he is loyal to his closest friends such as the Irishman but otherwise his loyalties can switch, others unaware. I am reluctantly fascinated by the Maffia and their power.
    I know what you mean. There is an interesting scene in the Godfather where power moves from Vito to Michael and a similar scene in Pt 3 where the same power moves from Michael to Vincent. On both occasions leaving the the elder a broken man and the younger on a road to ruin.
  8. Gothenburg
    Moves
    11 Dec '19 14:30
    @divegeester said
    I know what you mean. There is an interesting scene in the Godfather where power moves from Vito to Michael and a similar scene in Pt 3 where the same power moves from Michael to Vincent. On both occasions leaving the the elder a broken man and the younger on a road to ruin.
    Why is that kind of film about power and ruthlessness so fascinating? Is it because of the music and actors' good looks? In real life I would hardly feel the same.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Dec '19 15:03
    @torunn said
    Why is that kind of film about power and ruthlessness so fascinating? Is it because of the music and actors' good looks? In real life I would hardly feel the same.
    I suppose any kind of power is fascinating, but especially so when interwoven with intrigue, murder and iconic history.
  10. Gothenburg
    Moves
    11 Dec '19 15:101 edit
    @divegeester said
    I suppose any kind of power is fascinating, but especially so when interwoven with intrigue, murder and iconic history.
    Probably so. In 'Goodfellas' we didn't feel good about anything, just disgust.
    The Irishman I would probably see again to make sure I didn't miss anything. 🙂
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Dec '19 17:05
    @Torunn
    So you put the Irishman on the same level as Godfather? In terms of great movies?
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Dec '19 17:43
    @sonhouse said
    @Torunn
    So you put the Irishman on the same level as Godfather? In terms of great movies?
    Where did you get that from her posts?
  13. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    11 Dec '19 17:53
    @divegeester said

Compelling viewing.
    The story is very good.
    The acting is superb!

But, watching those guys trying to look and act as they were, 30 years ago, made me cringe.
    Marty would have fared better with younger actors portraying the early years.

Still, I cannot deny I enjoyed seeing that ensemble cast back together again. Masters at work!
  14. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    11 Dec '19 17:54
    @torunn said
    The reality is far less glamorous.
    "It is what it is."
  15. Gothenburg
    Moves
    11 Dec '19 18:52
    @sonhouse said
    @Torunn
    The Godfather, especially parts 1 and 2, is a masterpiece. The Irishman is a good film.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree