1. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    23 May '20 00:31
    @ponderable said
    The classic Snoopy:

It was a dark and rainy night.
    That would have been "It was a dark and stormy night" as Bulwer-Lytton had written earlier.
  2. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    23 May '20 00:481 edit
    It's not so much that I was born, as that self-assembly inevitably occurred from the presence of retroviral and nanite elements in the crucible of Jeremy Adriatos – the bastard teenage son of Milton Chalmers and his bespoke cruise consort Tyressa – who had entered some online "upgrade yourself challenge" while stuck in his foster parents' underground bunker circa 2022.
  3. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    23 May '20 00:56
    It was a dark and stormy but so far only humid night in Hong Kong without precipitation, and my social status app was flashing a pattern whose meaning I did not know. Maybe I said something wrong. I was too old to master the tones. A man who looked like Aaron Kwok seemed to look at me with concern and pity, then leapt over the rail onto the next level of the overpass, I hope not to his death.
  4. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    23 May '20 01:171 edit
    I'll admit that at one time I was a sincere and often-mocked white guy with dreads, and some years later I was a celibate lesbian who dressed in zen garb and had taken on a Tibetan name, and whose books sold in the thousands, but the day I signed the death warrant for my dear kitty was the day I realized that maybe something was wrong with me.
  5. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    23 May '20 03:26
    @fmf said
    He thought his dream had ended abruptly but it was in fact still the same dream and there had simply been what film makers call a smash cut which was a bit surprising after so many L cuts, match cuts, cutaways, and even some spliced-in 35mm footage.
    Nice!
  6. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    23 May '20 03:34
    @shallow-blue said
    Dark and stormy, in fact. To be precise:
    [quote]It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents — except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in London that our scene lies), rattling along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that struggled against the ...[text shortened]... ulwer-Lytton contest? If not: https://www.bulwer-lytton.com/ , and http://adamcadre.ac/lyttle.html .
    Sir, I appreciate your explanation, much more thorough than the paltry one I had offered, and I hope this tentative offer of appreciation finds favor (even though it is on the internet that this asynchronous exchange of pleasantries might occur, if ever).
  7. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    23 May '20 03:36
    @torunn said
    From his table at the fashionable Metropol restaurant, Richard had a perfect view of people walking up and down the small street connected to Bayswater Road.
    That is, in a way, one of most suspenseful openers yet!
  8. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    23 May '20 03:51
    @fmf said
    That was the moment when I realized Patricia was not my trophy wife after all and that, instead, it was me who was her increasingly superfluous trophy husband who had served his purpose by uniting the fortunes of the Fanshaw and Wilson-Barrett families. The fact this all happened in the context of early twentieth-century Britain, replete with period costumes, vintage cars, and a ...[text shortened]... hern accents, makes this story all the more engrossing ~ and potentially lucrative ~ for me to tell.
    Here we go.
  9. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    23 May '20 03:54
    @very-rusty said
    www.beatcancer.org/Dark_Chocolate/Benefits‎
    Dark Chocolate Has Several Health Benefits Including Cancer Prevention! Learn How To Help Others With Cancer Today! Free Cancer Diet Guides. Cancer Nutrition Tips. Cancer Education Programs. Center for Advancement.
    Search Results
    Featured snippet from the web
    Image result for is chocolate good for you
    www.bbcgoodfood.com

...[text shortened]... - American Cancer Society
    https://www.cancer.org › latest-news › is-chocolate-good-for-you.

-VR
    I think only the late John Brunner could pull off a novel-opener like that.
  10. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    23 May '20 04:04
    How Soggy Veg became a pariah is a story that only he himself could tell, but who would believe him?
  11. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    23 May '20 07:36
    @caesar-salad

There are some really cool ones, the one having been alerted six times could be the use of the b-word which is not ofsensive in the framework of the novel...(my opinion)
  12. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    23 May '20 11:17
    It only hurt as the drill pulled away, as the resonant sound pierced the air with equal vigor.
  13. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    23 May '20 16:57
    I remember when I thought that sweating was good for you, long before I worked for the diamond mine.
  14. Gothenburg
    Moves
    23 May '20 17:58
    @earl-of-trumps said
    I remember when I thought that sweating was good for you, long before I worked for the diamond mine.
    As soon as she entered the house, she knew it was a trap.
  15. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    24 May '20 03:29
    @torunn said
    As soon as she entered the house, she knew it was a trap.
    As the rickety door slowly creaked open, a lovely blonde woman poked her head inside, and I said to myself, "finally, my trap has worked!"

:-)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree