1. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    13 Jan '22 01:09
    It has more dialects around the world than I realised. Every country where it's the official language changes it around to suit themselves.

I first noticed this when I moved from one Australian state to another as a 12-year-old and almost needed an interpreter to get by at my new school. Everyday stuff like the books we wrote in and the containers we used to carry them to school.

Nowadays I carry quite a lot of translations in my head because of the internet.

Aubergine, mange-tout peas, butternut squash, bell pepper, cilantro, courgette - and that's just vegetables. None of these terms are used in Australia.
    We put petrol in our cars, cook with gas, and may live in flats or apartments, townhouses, villa units or units if our residence is not a single house on a 500sq.m block.

Do Canadians have a similar collection of local words?
  2. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    13 Jan '22 01:16
    True Canadian speak is done while drunk.

You have much to learn grasshopper 🤔
  3. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    13 Jan '22 01:30
    ...yes I am drunk right now 😔
  4. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    13 Jan '22 02:46
    @contenchess said
    ...yes I am drunk right now 😔
    Yeah but that doesn't make you a bad guy...

No wait! Yes it does! It makes you a blithering drunk! (have one for me)
  5. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    13 Jan '22 02:58
    @Earl-of-Trumps

I drank 3 for you...

Better safe than sorry 🥴
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Jan '22 09:33
    @kewpie said
    It has more dialects around the world than I realised. Every country where it's the official language changes it around to suit themselves.

I first noticed this when I moved from one Australian state to another as a 12-year-old and almost needed an interpreter to get by at my new school. Everyday stuff like the books we wrote in and the containers we used to carry them t ...[text shortened]... not a single house on a 500sq.m block.

There’s about 40 different dialects on English in England alone.

In places like the geordie north east and farming north Devon outsiders will be fortunate to understand a word.
  7. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    13 Jan '22 11:35
    @kewpie said

I first noticed this when I moved from one Australian state to another as a 12-year-old and almost needed an interpreter to get by at my new school. Everyday stuff like the books we wrote in and the containers we used to carry them t ...[text shortened]... not a single house on a 500sq.m block.

I had to look it up. Apparently there are 8 regional dialects in Canada. Thanks for asking the question. I now have my “Learn something new every day”, for today.👍😁
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Jan '22 11:58
    @kewpie said

Good thread.

Also the different pronunciations used sound like a another language at times, throw in all the accents and the question ‘do you speak English’ has too many answers 😅

TV helps with the American ones and I feel that people in Aus, UK and Ireland are aware of the differences and adjust whereas Americans will never change their language to suit the people they’re with. A perfect example was Dives what sport do you like to watch with friends thread, he says football then in brackets soccer, edler then posts football and in brackets football, even though it’s the only country in the world which calls American football football, them it’s football and everyone else is wrong.
  9. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    13 Jan '22 12:20
    @Trev33

Same thing with Draughts/Checkers.

Most of the world calls it Draughts but Americans call it Checkers.
  10. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    13 Jan '22 12:32

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    13 Jan '22 12:42
    @great-big-stees said
    I had to look it up. Apparently there are 8 regional dialects in Canada. Thanks for asking the question. I now have my “Learn something new every day”, for today.👍😁
    Interesting that you say 'apparently' as I remember you saying that Canadians basically all sound pretty much the same as each other despite the size of the country. Does that mean the dialects are a handful of obscure isolated places rather than regions or states?
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    13 Jan '22 13:372 edits
    @trev33 said
    Good thread.

Also the different pronunciations used sound like a another language at times, throw in all the accents and the question ‘do you speak English’ has too many answers 😅

TV helps with the American ones and I feel that people in Aus, UK and Ireland are aware of the differences and adjust whereas Americans will never change their language to suit the people they ...[text shortened]... in the world which calls American football football, them it’s football and everyone else is wrong.
    You're Wrong trev33,

Soccer is played with the round ball.
    Not much in the way of protective gear that can be seen.

Football has a different shaped ball!
    Players are dressed like Gladiators just no shields or swords. 🙂

-VR
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Jan '22 14:38
    @very-rusty said
    You're Wrong trev33,

Soccer is played with the round ball.
    Not much in the way of protective gear that can be seen.

Football has a different shaped ball!
    Players are dressed like Gladiators just no shields or swords. 🙂

-VR
    Have you not got any homeless people to give coffee to?
  14. Standard memberExecutioner Brand
    Grass Farmer
    Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Jan '22 14:42
    @trev33 said
    Have you not got any homeless people to give coffee to?
    I used to walk into town with a thermos and have a coffee with a homeless dude.
  15. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Jan '22 14:48
    @executioner-brand said
    I used to walk into town with a thermos and have a coffee with a homeless dude.
    That’s nice, hope you bring some food for him or her as well?

I don’t bother at home, we have enough social care and shelters that no one should be living on the street, maybe that’s bad on my part. Will buy them food in other countries that aren’t as fortunate than my own though.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree