Sonograms

Standard membervivify
General 04 Jun '16 02:41
  1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 02:411 edit
    The process of finding out the gender of an unborn child is disappointing. When me and my wife first went to a sonogram, the woman working the machine told us it was a boy. I asked, "how do you know?" Her response: because he has a penis.

Is that really it? I thought there'd be something more scientific than that. Think about it: a machine is being used that generates images of a life in the womb using sound...light from sound to something inside the body. That's incredible.

I just assumed that determining the sex of an unborn baby was more sophisticated than "I see a wiener".
  2. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 03:04
    Originally posted by vivify
    The process of finding out the gender of an unborn child is disappointing. When me and my wife first went to a sonogram, the woman working the machine told us it was a boy. I asked, "how do you know?" Her response: because he has a penis.

Is that really it? I thought there'd be something more scientific than that. Think about it: a machine is being us ...[text shortened]... assumed that determining the sex of an unborn baby was more sophisticated than "I see a wiener".
    That's really it. Count your blessings.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 03:06

Is that really it? I thought there'd be something more scientific than that. Think about it: a machine is being us ...[text shortened]... assumed that determining the sex of an unborn baby was more sophisticated than "I see a wiener".
    Could have been worse.
    The nurse could have said:
    Congratulations!
    Your baby is gender fluid!
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 03:49
    The process of finding out the gender of an unborn child is disappointing.
    We knew the gender of our first before it was born because the information emerged due to all that was going on to treat my wife for the life threatening condition she suffered during her pregnancy. But I quite enjoyed not knowing ~ deliberately so ~ during the pregnancy with out second child.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 04:541 edit

The alternative is for the fetus to self-identify, is it not?

Edit, why is it important to you?
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 14:23
    Originally posted by JS357
    The alternative is for the fetus to self-identify, is it not?

Edit, why is it important to you?
    I think you misunderstand. I have no qualms with identifying the gender, I just expected something more "sciency".

Like if she said something like "this area here implies such-and-such chemical reaction indicative of hormones from this gender". And then I my reaction would be, "Wow, doc! Amazing!" I didn't think it would just be "yup, that's a dong."
  7. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 14:30
    I like Monograms...ya know like on my handkerchiefs, napkin holders and bathrobes (GBS) stylized font of course.
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 15:48
    I think you misunderstand. I have no qualms with identifying the gender, I just expected something more "sciency".

Like if she said something like "this area here implies such-and-such chemical reaction indicative of hormones from this gender". And then I my reaction would be, "Wow, doc! Amazing!" I didn't think it would just be "yup, that's a dong."
    "... such-and-such chemical reaction ... " -- is what makes a clitoris turn into a penis. If that chemical reaction does not happen, it stays a clitoris.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 18:10

Maybe she should have said that while pointing at the penis. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree