1. Playing with matches
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 12:242 edits
    Asking for a friend.

No seriously, the poorest people are often the most stupid. Sometimes you’ll find them committed to a generational program of breeding for poverty and stupidity.

Should they be helped? It’s the American way to allow each man to pursue his dreams and claw out whatever success he can. Unfortunately, success is fleeting and must be earned every day. The stupid are ill equipped to even grasp this concept much less leverage it.

Perhaps we should provide a safety net for them. Define stupidity as a disability. Perform mandatory testing early on and throw a bunch of social workers at the problem.

You can’t truly solve a problem without defining it correctly and identifying root causes. Stupidity is the root cause.
  2. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 12:33
    @hand-of-hecate said
    Asking for a friend.

No seriously, the poorest people are often the most stupid. Sometimes you’ll find them committed to a generational program of breeding for poverty and stupidity.

Should they be helped? It’s the American way to allow each man to pursue his dreams and claw out whatever success he can. Unfortunately, success is fleeting and must be earned ever ...[text shortened]... ve a problem without defining it correctly and identifying root causes. Stupidity is the root cause.
    Man...this is a stupid thread.
  3. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 14:361 edit
    Who's smarter? Someone working a job with long hours and being treated poorly by customers. Or the guy collecting disability benefits, sitting in his comfy home with total freedom of his time.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 14:58
    @hand-of-hecate said
    Asking for a friend.

Should they be helped? It’s the American way to allow each man to pursue his dreams and claw out whatever success he can. Unfortunately, success is fleeting and must be earned ever ...[text shortened]... ve a problem without defining it correctly and identifying root causes. Stupidity is the root cause.
    Allow evolution to run its course.
  5. Playing with matches
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 16:05
    @divegeester said
    Allow evolution to run its course.
    That’s just it, we’ve halted the attrition necessary to drive evolution in a positive direction. Walmart and high minimum wage allows the stupid to survive when evolution would normally have culled them.

Making stupidity a disability would make the afflicted a health problem. While we won’t be killing them off, the disability label is likely to adversely affect their ability to propagate. Less breeding. Less stupid ass kids. No overnight impact, just gradual change.
  6. Standard membermobster kitty
    mafia chief
    the safe house
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 16:061 edit
    @Hand-of-Hecate

"stupid is as stupid does".
  7. S. Korea
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 16:11
    Technically, it is a disability officially recognized.

Perhaps the bar is just too low for your liking, lol.
  8. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 16:35
    @hand-of-hecate said
    Asking for a friend.

I would be in favor of giving them all disability if they were prohibiting from voting and owning or carrying guns. I know this could seriously affect some politicians voting bases but sacrifices must be made.
  9. Standard memberPatzering
    is getting old...
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 18:46
    ...and prevent further breeding.
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 20:10
    @hand-of-hecate said
    Asking for a friend.

People with substandard cognitive ability can still perform useful functions in society. They may, for example, be very caring people who do well tending gardens or animals.
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 20:15
    @moonbus said
    People with substandard cognitive ability can still perform useful functions in society. They may, for example, be very caring people who do well tending gardens or animals.
    moonbus....I think you know by now that hoh posts are just to try and shock people by saying politically incorrect things. Some even give him incentive to continue by giving him thumbs up.

-VR
  12. Standard memberMudfinger
    Ol' Dirty Heathen
    I'm Naked!
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 22:29
    @hand-of-hecate said
    Asking for a friend.

I think Trump is already on this one...
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 Aug '19 00:17
    @moonbus said
    Pupils from the Special Needs school I taught at often
    (but not often enough) went on to lead happy and
    productive lives in jobs most of us would consider
    mind-bogglingly mundane.
  14. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    19 Aug '19 00:46
    @hand-of-hecate said
    Asking for a friend.

Define stupidity.

Since I’m one of those social workers proposed being thrown at the problem, I am needing some criteria on which to assess a qualifying baseline.

I’ve done some pretty stupid things throughout my life, but I would not deem it a disability that would require systems interventions...

Come to think of it, I’ve seen some pretty stupid government bureaucracies that stand as barriers toward dealing with the problems that get tossed my way.

The question I keep asking is does stupidity cause poverty or does poverty cause stupidity (as in generational ignorance...yes,I think it’s a real thing.

I have cognitively impaired, poverty-impacted clients who have taken incredible strides toward improving their circumstances for themselves and their families...I’d work with them any day...

...and I’ve worked with independently wealthy people who refuse to work the smart solutions...they keep me up at night, scratching my head wondering if they will ever do the smart work toward recovery...

Sigh...
  15. Playing with matches
    Moves
    19 Aug '19 00:51
    @hakima said
    Define stupidity.

Since I’m one of those social workers proposed being thrown at the problem, I am needing some criteria on which to assess a qualifying baseline.

I’ve done some pretty stupid things throughout my life, but I would not deem it a disability that would require systems interventions...

Come to think of it, I’ve seen some pretty stupid government bureaucra ...[text shortened]... ight, scratching my head wondering if they will ever do the smart work toward recovery...

Sigh...
    It would be a lot simpler if we just tattooed the stupid or gave them distinctive vests. This would save a lot of time and minimize unrealistic expectations.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree