1. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    11 Jun '19 05:44
    Thinking about moving to the PI. Gonna take a test run for a mth. Talked to the guy who runs the VFW next to the old Clark AFB in Angeles city. Said 2k a mth. and you can live ok. Spent time there as a military officers brat in 72-73. Question is. Best skydiving? Cebu? Anybody know any expats living there? Thanks Kevin
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Jun '19 07:26
    @kquinn909 said
    Thinking about moving to the PI. Gonna take a test run for a mth. Talked to the guy who runs the VFW next to the old Clark AFB in Angeles city. Said 2k a mth. and you can live ok. Spent time there as a military officers brat in 72-73. Question is. Best skydiving? Cebu? Anybody know any expats living there? Thanks Kevin
    Aren’t there any serviceable aircraft you can jump out of near to where you currently live?
  3. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    11 Jun '19 14:101 edit
    @kquinn909 said
    My brother went to live there after he finished working in Saudi Arabia 10 years ago. His wife is from the Philippines. My sisters and I wish he’d come back home to live. We don’t fancy visiting him there as you have to be careful where you go for your own safety - his wife’s friend’s sister got stabbed in the stomach at a cashpoint; she died. My brother has suffered with ill health and severe weight loss as he has little faith in the doctors there. However, he likes it there and never wants to return to the UK. We don’t expect to ever see him again sadly.
  4. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    11 Jun '19 15:511 edit
    A friend of mine was posted to Clark AFB in the 80's.
    There was a lot of civilians working on the base and the American military decided to start paying into a pension fund for them.
    The Filipinos could not get their head around pensions and after a couple of months demanded they get their money.
    This was refused so they all went on strike and the American air men were confined to base due to the unrest outside.
    Meanwhile the bar girls in town were getting hungry due to lack of business.
    One afternoon all the bar girls marched to the base with their hand bags full of rocks.
    Upon arrival they pelted the striking workers with their rocks and broke the strike.
    The pension idea was cancelled and the civilian workers did not get a cent.

You would have to have a heart of stone not to laugh.
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    11 Jun '19 21:30
    @drewnogal said
    My brother went to live there after he finished working in Saudi Arabia 10 years ago. His wife is from the Philippines. My sisters and I wish he’d come back home to live. We don’t fancy visiting him there as you have to be careful where you go for your own safety - his wife’s friend’s sister got stabbed in the stomach at a cashpoint; she died. My brother has suffered with ...[text shortened]... he likes it there and never wants to return to the UK. We don’t expect to ever see him again sadly.
    What a tragic story. We live on the eastern tip of North Sulawesi, so there's us, then there's a chain of islands to the north across which a line is drawn between Indonesia and the Philippines. So it's not far, but for some reason we've never wanted to go there, which is odd, really, because on the whole we'll go anywhere; place just doesn't feel right. I think it's probably safe enough for tourists if you were to stay in a decent hotel, but to live in a place where you don't trust the doctors must be awful.
    I hope you see your brother again.
  6. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    11 Jun '19 22:41
    @the-gravedigger said
    A friend of mine was posted to Clark AFB in the 80's.
    There was a lot of civilians working on the base and the American military decided to start paying into a pension fund for them.
    The Filipinos could not get their head around pensions and after a couple of months demanded they get their money.
    This was refused so they all went on strike and the American air men ...[text shortened]... nd the civilian workers did not get a cent.

You would have to have a heart of stone not to laugh.
    I was sent on temporary duty to Clark just after a couple of airmen were shot dead outside of the main gate.

It was a chaotic time in the P.I.
    I hear things are better now.
    Good luck.
  7. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    12 Jun '19 00:09
    @drewnogal said
    My brother went to live there after he finished working in Saudi Arabia 10 years ago. His wife is from the Philippines. My sisters and I wish he’d come back home to live. We don’t fancy visiting him there as you have to be careful where you go for your own safety - his wife’s friend’s sister got stabbed in the stomach at a cashpoint; she died. My brother has suffered with ...[text shortened]... he likes it there and never wants to return to the UK. We don’t expect to ever see him again sadly.
    Sorry to hear about that.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 16:34
    @kquinn909
    You might think about Thailand. I lived there for several years and as an example, I had a little 'pocket rocket' RD250 2 stroke motorcycle which needed an engine overhaul and they did an outstanding job and when I went back to pick it up, they were cleaning the spokes with a toothbrush! All for fifty bucks.
    I paid 70 bucks a month for my hutch upcountry 400 miles north of Bankok, a town called Nakomphanom. NKP. very close to the Mekong river. I have stories crossing that river into Laos😉
  9. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 22:44

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree