1. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    30 Mar '20 10:05
    @suzianne said
    It's a sci-fi story. I find it interesting that we think the human condition is so great that we even start believing that non-humans would desire to be human. But then, we can only see through the window from our side.
    It always fascinates me listening to people's assumptions about the way their pets see the world. I wonder how accurate we are at seeing the world through the eyes of other species??
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    30 Mar '20 10:14
    @petewxyz said
    It always fascinates me listening to people's assumptions about the way their pets see the world. I wonder how accurate we are at seeing the world through the eyes of other species??
    That is pretty much impossible to do! 😉

-VR
  3. Joined
    28 Jul '07
    Moves
    30 Mar '20 11:39
    @petewxyz said
    'Roadside Picnic' is a novel that deals with similar themes. The story being that aliens visit earth leaving behind debris that affects humans in the same way that humans affect nature when taking a roadside picnic.

It's a good book and an even better film by Tarkovsky called 'The Stalker'.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Mar '20 16:11
    @petewxyz said
    Well, that's kind of what I was getting at. People love to anthropomorphize, even imagining what their pet would sound like if they could talk. I don't think we often see the world through the eyes of our pets, but it is more the other way 'round. Some people seem to think they see the world as we do. It's what I mean when I say that we think humans are the 'top of the heap' and assume that other species want to be like us, when I'm sure they are perfectly happy being themselves. Civilization forces us to rise above seeing the world as an animal might, to the point of not being able to, or care to, see the world the way they do. In this way, I'm afraid humans have lost their connection with nature. This also makes us blind to animals that end up abused or neglected. Right now, I'm the new owner of a basset hound that was basically left outside by his owner 24 hours a day. He's about 18 months old and probably never got to play with other dogs and missed out on just being a puppy. He's trying to catch up on lost time now, though.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Mar '20 16:14
    @very-rusty said
    You are a prime example for seeing things from your side of the window! 😉

-VR
    I don't recall ringing your bell. Hush.
  6. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    30 Mar '20 16:34
    @suzianne said
    Well, that's kind of what I was getting at. People love to anthropomorphize, even imagining what their pet would sound like if they could talk. I don't think we often see the world through the eyes of our pets, but it is more the other way 'round. Some people seem to think they see the world as we do. It's what I mean when I say that we think humans are the 'top of the h ...[text shortened]... other dogs and missed out on just being a puppy. He's trying to catch up on lost time now, though.
    I saw this fascinating documentary about the relationship between dogs and humans. Apparently based on sound research although I never followed it up. Essentially they tracked the gaze of different species looking at human faces. Unlike any other species, dogs were significantly more likely to selective look towards the side of the human face connected to the dominant hemisphere (the side most likely to betray our emotional state).

The suggestion was that dogs have evolved the ability to read us pretty accurately. It was linked to the amount of time they had lived in symbiosis since the first Wolves discovered that coming tamely to the camp fire was the successful strategy. So, people don't seem to read animals too well but dogs read humans?!
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '20 04:011 edit

Removed by poster

8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '20 04:14
    An immediate thumbs down but no comment.
  9. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    15 Apr '20 07:49
    @divegeester said
    An immediate thumbs down but no comment.
    It left everybody speechless, but maybe that's part of the plan??
  10. Joined
    28 Jul '07
    Moves
    15 Apr '20 07:54
    @divegeester removed their quoted post
    It's not David Icke is it?
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    15 Apr '20 08:341 edit
    @hope said
    @petewxyz

Yes, excellent.

The hard problem of consciousness appears to be unsolvable. I will definitely find that book - thank you.

-hope
    The greatest trick that our minds ever 'learned' was to make us aware of ourselves and our own existence, which makes us as a species unique in the animal world, and the great mystery is 'when did this happen?' All philosophy and religion starts from there.
  12. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    15 Apr '20 09:01
    @divegeester removed their quoted post
    I'm not sure whether these are your thoughts and opinions or whether they are a random list of 'quotes' from various conversations with another or others. All of the statements could be discussed individually.
    For example: This world will 'pass away' whether there is a god who says it or not, the sun has only a few billion years to 'live', in its' current, stable state, after which it will explode, then it's goodnight Vienna whoever's in control. Science and religion can agree on this at least.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '20 10:44
    @petewxyz said
    It left everybody speechless, but maybe that's part of the plan??
    It a genuine account of conversations between myself and a person I know very well.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '20 10:44
    @neilarini said
    It's not David Icke is it?
    I’ll take your question at face value and reply in kind.

No it isn’t David Icke.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '20 10:461 edit
    @indonesia-phil said
    I'm not sure whether these are your thoughts and opinions or whether they are a random list of 'quotes' from various conversations with another or others. All of the statements could be discussed individually.
    For example: This world will 'pass away' whether there is a god who says it or not, the sun has only a few billion years to 'live', in its' current, stable st ...[text shortened]... e, then it's goodnight Vienna whoever's in control. Science and religion can agree on this at least.
    As I said in the post, it is an unattributed (I’m saying who it is), abridged, derived and highly adapted from a series of real conversations with a highly intelligent and most excellent human being.

I know this person very well, it is a summation of expressions of their mindset and a notable part of their belief structure.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree