1. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    11 Oct '21 12:021 edit
    @relentless-red said
    I was sad when I heard about the pigs, although I also wondered about the argument about 'having' to cull them. To some extent there was an element of not being able to keep them alive to grow a bit older just because of the standards dictated by supermarkets that the meat of older pigs won't quite meet. Like the potatoes that 'can't' be used just because they don't hi ...[text shortened]... shermen going out in poor conditions through fear of being dropped if they didn't meet the standard.
    It feels like we’re all now becoming more aware of all manner of consequences that have resulted through our own design. I’m lucky to have a tiny plot of land where I can pretend that the world is an ideal place where wildlife and humans live in harmony together.

On the subject of our fisheries industry I read that we have a plentiful supply of mussels in our waters but that we crave our over fished cod far more. Lets get mussels in garlic and white wine on the school meals menu. We’ll have kids that are well nourished, ready for a busy day at school 😋

https://westcountrybylines.co.uk/defra-says-get-over-it-brexit-threatens-to-wreck-devon-mussel-business-and-defra-dont-much-care/
  2. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    11 Oct '21 12:06
    @drewnogal said
    It feels like we’re all now becoming more aware of all manner of consequences that have resulted through our own design. I’m lucky to have a tiny plot of land where I can pretend that the world is an ideal place where wildlife and humans live in harmony together.

On the subject of our fisheries industry I read that we have a plentiful supply of mussels in our waters but ...[text shortened]... .uk/defra-says-get-over-it-brexit-threatens-to-wreck-devon-mussel-business-and-defra-dont-much-care/
    Totally agree. Moules Frites is like French equivalent of fish and chips. I was shocked to discover that if you see a little shack by the beach with a couple of plastic tables it will be restaurant standard and cheaper than fish and chips.
  3. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    11 Oct '21 14:31
    Now we are in the tragic situation where farmers are going to have to kill their pigs, because there are no abattoir slaughtermen to err kill them.
  4. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    11 Oct '21 14:44
    @the-gravedigger said
    Now we are in the tragic situation where farmers are going to have to kill their pigs, because there are no abattoir slaughtermen to err kill them.
    And because the supermarkets have dictated that we the customer won't buy the meat if the pigs are allowed to grow older, so won't pay prices that make it in the farmers' interests to keep them alive until the system is ready. Are they right that we are so pampered that we must have the finest quality meat regardless of the implications?

(I'd take it to debates, but I have no interest in watching it become an American party political issue.)
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    11 Oct '21 18:03
    It's the Damn democrats fault.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Oct '21 13:25
    @drewnogal said
    My bone-in tinned sardines are already out of stock.
    France report they have shrunk by a third due to warmer waters😢
    glenryck pilchards are the same thing
  7. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    12 Oct '21 13:27
    @badradger said
    Seem to be able to get tinned mackerel easily. Love that with the Korma or BBQ sauces.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Oct '21 13:29
    @relentless-red said
    Seem to be able to get tinned mackerel easily. Love that with the Korma or BBQ sauces.
    yeah mackerel bone free love it
  9. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    12 Oct '21 14:01
    @badradger said
    I’ll have to look out for them 🙂
  10. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    12 Oct '21 14:21
    @relentless-red said
    And because the supermarkets have dictated that we the customer won't buy the meat if the pigs are allowed to grow older, so won't pay prices that make it in the farmers' interests to keep them alive until the system is ready. Are they right that we are so pampered that we must have the finest quality meat regardless of the implications?

(I'd take it to debates, but I have no interest in watching it become an American party political issue.)
    Well said.
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Oct '21 19:06
    @relentless-red said
    Totally agree. Moules Frites is like French equivalent of fish and chips.
    Well. Belgian, really. But the French have stolen it well.
  12. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Oct '21 19:09
    @relentless-red said
    Well, quite. I'd love to be able to buy some mutton, or goat, but even the middle-eastern shops only sell lamb. At least the fish stall in the market occasionally has shark or catfish.
  13. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    13 Oct '21 11:12
    @shallow-blue said
    Well, quite. I'd love to be able to buy some mutton, or goat, but even the middle-eastern shops only sell lamb. At least the fish stall in the market occasionally has shark or catfish.
    Over here you can get goat at most Jamaican shops and catfish are plentiful here too. Love them “blackened” and the goat on a roti with hot sauce. Mmmmmmm👍
  14. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    13 Oct '21 14:14
    @great-big-stees said
    Over here you can get goat at most Jamaican shops and catfish are plentiful here too. Love them “blackened” and the goat on a roti with hot sauce. Mmmmmmm👍
    Just looked up catfish, now they do look somewhat like a cat which left me wondering about the similarities between a dogfish and dogs? It apparently stems from their habit of feeding in packs — sometimes numbering in the hundreds or thousands 😮
  15. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    13 Oct '21 16:01
    @drewnogal said
    Just looked up catfish, now they do look somewhat like a cat which left me wondering about the similarities between a dogfish and dogs? It apparently stems from their habit of feeding in packs — sometimes numbering in the hundreds or thousands 😮
    Catfish, like lobsters are bottom feeders and were thought not to be tasty...oh how wrong. Mmmmmmm😋

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree