1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    24 Jul '20 20:14
    @torunn said
    You were.
    You’re wasting your time torunn, just pretend he’s someone else’s kid running around the supermarket knocking things from the shelves.
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    24 Jul '20 20:251 edit
    @trev33 said
    You’re wasting your time torunn, just pretend he’s someone else’s kid running around the supermarket knocking things from the shelves.
    She could have done that by not commenting the first time and we still wouldn't be on about it trev! 😉

Do you think you sound big comparing me to a kid running around the supermarket?.....What do you think you solved?

Oh I see, you're going for some thumbs up should get you a few anyways! 😉

-VR
  3. Gothenburg
    Moves
    24 Jul '20 20:28
    @very-rusty said
    She could have done that by not commenting the first time and we still wouldn't be on about it trev! 😉

Do you think you sound big comparing me to a kid running around the supermarket?.....What do you think you solved?

-VR
    Yes, I could have ignored your post so it is my mistake too.
  4. Gothenburg
    Moves
    24 Jul '20 20:29
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Really interesting interview. (Highlighted lots of gaps in my knowledge, right from the start).

And am still humming John Legend's 'Glory.'
    I have just finished listening, very interesting and good music.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    24 Jul '20 20:291 edit
    @torunn said
    Yes, I could have ignored your post so it is my mistake too.
    Exactly! You know you'll always get an answer at some point!

-VR
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Jul '20 20:45
    @torunn said
    I have just finished listening, very interesting and good music.
    Glad you enjoyed it.
  7. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    25 Jul '20 00:02
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Were you able to listen to the interview? The first Billy Holiday song was really powerful when the meaning was explained.
    More on the Strange Fruit story surrounds the author of the poem that inspired it...

Abel Meeropol was a Jewish American Communist who wrote for The Teacher’s Union publication in 1937 when he penned and published Strange Fruit. He was sympathetic to Ethel and Julius Rosenberg, who were convicted and executed as spies. The Rosenbergs left two young sons and Meeropol and his wife Anne took them in to their home after meeting them at the home of W.E.B Du Bois. They later adopted the boys, who were reported to have adjusted quickly to the Meeropol household.

Meeropol died in 1986. His adopted son Michael stayed that his father was a gentle soul who devoted his life to social justice.
  8. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    25 Jul '20 00:12
    Thank you to all who listened. By nature, I am very self-critical and picked up on some things I would have said or done differently with the show, but this was my debut show and the technicalities were fairly minor to the standards of community radio. It was a great learning experience and I hope to do more, perhaps more lighthearted.

Because it was a serious and controversial subject, I was not surprised last night to receive a rather scathing review by an individual on social media. There were references to my “Valley Girl” voice as compared to the smooth British accent of my interviewer and friend, as well as referring to me as “ageing” and a “senior citizen” at the ripe age of 58...interestingly that last part made the entire critique humourous to me, and I’m taking it all in stride.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Jul '20 00:49
    @hakima said
    https://www.mixcloud.com/Box39/140-box-39-show-63-strange-fruit-americas-broken-dream-with-pamela-ennis/

Here is the link to the archived show.
    Thanks for the archive link.

I planned to catch the rebroadcast on Saturday, but if that fails I'll hit up the archive.

Props to you for stretching your wings, sis.
  10. Gothenburg
    Moves
    25 Jul '20 07:31
    @hakima said
    Thank you to all who listened. By nature, I am very self-critical and picked up on some things I would have said or done differently with the show, but this was my debut show and the technicalities were fairly minor to the standards of community radio. It was a great learning experience and I hope to do more, perhaps more lighthearted.

Because it was a serious and controver ...[text shortened]... erestingly that last part made the entire critique humourous to me, and I’m taking it all in stride.
    I enjoyed that part - his kind and polite, familiar British-English, and your spontaneous and committed way to describe a subject so close to your heart. Something to be proud of, Hakima.
  11. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    25 Jul '20 10:40
    @hakima said

Because it was a serious and controver ...[text shortened]... erestingly that last part made the entire critique humourous to me, and I’m taking it all in stride.
    You must be self critical if you view that as anything other than a fantastic job. Excellent awareness raising about such an incredibly important issue. My congratulations to you and everybody involved in the show on a very important piece of work.
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    25 Jul '20 12:57
    @petewxyz said
    You must be self critical if you view that as anything other than a fantastic job. Excellent awareness raising about such an incredibly important issue. My congratulations to you and everybody involved in the show on a very important piece of work.
    I also loved the accent.
  13. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    25 Jul '20 15:58
    @hakima said

Ran out of time this AM. I'll finish listening this afternoon.
    The first 20 minutes have been on point and focused.
    Because we share similar American accents, I'm selfishly fond of yours: Especially because it comes with an enlightened attitude.
    More of substance later.

Great stuff Hakima!
    Proceed with pride. 🙂
  14. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    29 Jul '20 11:59
    Have listened to it now. It has been a real pleasure and thought-provocing. Thank you
  15. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    04 Aug '20 11:19
    @ponderable said
    Have listened to it now. It has been a real pleasure and thought-provocing. Thank you
    Maybe some People are still interested?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree